About MS updates - I was just wondering . . .

Covergirl 22:38 27 Jun 08

. . . I had a mate who ran hookey XP and Office 2003 ('cos he couldn't afford the real thing) no excuses from me thanks - anyway, it uploaded and installed all MS updates but when it came to IE7, it told him his licence wasn't valid.

Is this the future of security and are MS trying to catch up on the OS updates ? Or are they providing security updates free to unregistered users ? Haven't seen him for 6 months so all may have changed - dunno - any ideas chaps ?

Stuartli 12:51 28 Jun 08

Microsoft hasn't stopped users of pirated copies of an OS system from receiving security updates and made it clear that this is its position some time back.

If your "mate" configures WindowsUpdates in the Security Center to "Notify When Updates are Available but not to Install them", clicking on the yellow icon and choosing Custom will allow which to download and which to turn down.

crosstrainer 14:18 28 Jun 08

I would advise you "Mate"

To purchase a leagal copy, rather than go down the workaround route.

Student's who ask my company to perform this type of operation are politely, but firmly turned away.

In the end, you get what you pay for. If you pay nothing, then everyone suffers (including me) at the end of the day.

Stuartli 17:44 28 Jun 08

The reason MS sanctioned the move was to avoid pirated copies NOT being properly updated security wise - it would cause more problems than not allowing it.

However, such owners won't be able to download MS software as the Validation process prevents it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…