Abandonware Campaign

The Ghost of Inept Pig 14:06 23 Apr 06

Abandonware - software titles that are no longer being sold or supported by the copyright holder. Should you wish to play a title that has fallen into this category then you'll either need to search eBay relentlessly - or download a copy of the game from one of the darker corners of the internet, entirely illegal, but what other option do you have?

We've put together a campaign in an attempt to provoke a response from game publishers regarding this issue, maybe they could re-release the title at a budget price in a downloadable form (no instructions, box or technical support) - or perhaps they could release the title as 'freeware', and let the gaming community find a copy and distribute it through sites such as Liberated Games (click here). In no way do we want the Company to relinquish their copyrights – the game, characters, artwork, music and anything else related, will still be entirely theirs – all we want is a chance to play the games again.

You can view a sample of some of the 'abandoned' games (url=click here) that we'd like the chance to play again.

Then maybe read through our entire Abandonware Campaign article (click here), and then, if you should happen to agree with what we're trying to achieve you could sign the online petition (click here) we've set up.

To help further, you could post about this campaign on other forums you frequent - the more support we get, the more likely we are to attract the attention of the people that can actually make this happen.

Forum Editor 14:17 23 Apr 06

wish you well with this - it seems to make eminent sense to me, and I've added my name to your petition.

big bloke66 16:22 23 Apr 06

as forum editors comments
Hope it does well.
bb66

DieSse 16:30 23 Apr 06

I've added my name too.

Wouldn't it all be much more sensible to have much shorter copyright monopoly periods though!

The Spires 18:02 23 Apr 06

Ditto.

The Ghost of Inept Pig 18:52 23 Apr 06

"Wouldn't it all be much more sensible to have much shorter copyright monopoly periods though!"

Yes! That would be an ideal situation for games, it's just a shame that it's not currenly the case.

Many thanks to all who have signed the petition so far, the cause has been further helped when we were Slashdotted (click here), and by people posting about the campaign on other sites/forums.

gudgulf 19:03 23 Apr 06

You can add me to to list too...........I've been taking a little step backwards lately to stay away from the neverending upgrade race to keep up with the latest games.

Last two completed...Clive barker's Undying and American Mcgee's Alice.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:03 23 Apr 06

I'm in.

Giant68 19:47 23 Apr 06

me too!

wolfie3000 06:54 24 Apr 06

me three.

Starfox 18:30 24 Apr 06

me four

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…