96 M.P.H. on motorway but only cautioned?

Cymro. 10:41 15 Jan 08

Motorway Cops: A Traffic Cops Special last night (Monday 14) B.B.C.1

A motorcyclist was stopped because he was driving at 96 M.P.H. the policeman only cautioned him and he was allowed to drive on without even a fixed penalty fine.

It so happens that the policeman concerned used to drive a motorcycle himself so I assume that he was more sympathetic to the speeding motorcyclist because of this.

What do you all think? Was the policeman right to let the speeding motorcyclist off so lightly? Personally I think the policeman was wrong. I would have expected to be prosecuted if I was caught driving my car at such a speed.

Shortstop 11:05 15 Jan 08

I thought that the issue here was that the Policeman believed that the rider was going to have an accident going that fast so stopped the guy before he was able to do a full speed check. I recall that he advised the rider that he was travelling somewhere between 2 different sppeds [eg.90-96]. This would have made a prosecution impossible IMHO. Why he didn't just follow and get an exact speed is a different question and was really subject to the Police driver's knowledge of road conditions, problems ahead and so on.

Yes, the Policeman may have been sympathetic but he seemed to act in the best interests of the public.

What amazed me was the rider's assertation that he was not speeding, merely travelling at the speed of the traffic! Like the Policeman said, no one overtook the rider and there was no one travelling at the same speed as the rider, so where did this claim come from - and why did the motorcyclist think it was OK to ride 'with traffic' going +20 MPH over the national speed limit?

BR

Paul

sunny staines 11:09 15 Jan 08

he said that he had not followed him long enough to issue a ticket. the officer also gave words of advice at times this can be just as good as a deterant not everyone needs a ticket to learn the error of their ways.

tullie 11:57 15 Jan 08

Mind you,driving a modern car at seventy on a motorway,in good conditions is too slow,dont know about a bike though.

Aargh 13:10 15 Jan 08

If clocked by a gatso he'd get a ticket, but a traffic cop gives him a small dose of advice. Which system do you prefer - officer discretion open to intepretation in varying circumstances or the arbitrary enforcement of law by machines?

Quickbeam 13:15 15 Jan 08

The second option by far, the option with common sense linked to it, the option we won't get as it will mean a return to 'plods on the streets'.

robgf 13:32 15 Jan 08

I thought the reason he was let off, was because the police car couldn't follow him far enough. On the video he seemed to be following cars going at the same speed.

The Rumanian stopped with no child seats, amused me. I think I would have given up trying to explain that to someone who had only a vague grasp of English.

Totally-braindead 13:35 15 Jan 08

It doesn't surprise me. Read the papers any week and look at the people being caught speeding. Different scenario but if you are Joe Bloggs and get caught speeding you will get an automatic ban, if you are a so called celebrity doing exactly the same speed you will either get points or a hefty fine.

I know this is slightly off the original post but I would like to see standardisation of penalties.

If you get caught on a bike doing 96mph you get banned, if you do the same in the car you get banned, if you do the same and you are a celebrity you should still get banned.

Can anyone explain to me a justifiable reason that someone who is famous can speed and not get banned and someone whos just a normal man on the street can do the same thing and get a ban?

Other than theres one law for the poorer members of society and another for the better off.

Quickbeam 13:41 15 Jan 08

"One law for the rich, and another for the poor", has been quoted for centuries.

Now we're in the 21st century, it's time we proved that wrong by example.

Totally-braindead 13:51 15 Jan 08

I agree Quickbeam but reading the papers it certainly appears that if you are a celebrity then you will get off with speeding but if you are not a celebrity you will get a ban.

Why is this?

I've even seen people banned for 6 months or a year for doing 90 mph on a 70 mph road and a footballer caught doing 126mph on a 70 mph road gets no ban and just a fine.

Now thats not fair.

TopCat® 14:33 15 Jan 08

That biker said he had just joined that motorway and had accelerated to get ahead of the lorries. It so happened he was 'clocked' at over 90 doing this by the police for only a short period, which was less than the required distance before stopping someone. As the traffic was heavy at the time the biker moderated his speed just as the police had to do, but the officer still made the stop and gave some good and timely advice to the rider.

I believe the officer would have definitely booked him if circumstances had been different, as he was duty-bound to do so. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant