9/11 is this real

bowl 21:19 29 Jul 05

Have just rec this email anyone seen it before
VERY IMPORTANT
During the next several weeks be VERY cautious about opening or launching
any e-mails that refer to the World Trade Center or 9/11 in any way, regardless of who sent it.
PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. FOR THOSE WHO
DON'T KNOW, "WTC" STANDS FOR THE WORLD TRADE CENTER. REALLY DANGEROUS
BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL OPEN IT RIGHT AWAY, THINKING ITS A STORY RELATING TO
9/11!
BIGGGG TROUBLE !!!! DO NOT OPEN "WTC Survivor" It is a virus that will erase your whole "C" drive.. It will come to you in the form of an E-Mail from a familiar person. I repeat, a friend sent it to me, but called and warned me before I opened it. He was not so lucky and now he can't even start his computer!
Forward this to everyone in your address book. I would rather receive this 25 times than not at all. So, if you receive an email called "WTC Survivor", do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries dll files from your computer.
PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE!

Tim1964 21:29 29 Jul 05

Any message that contains "FORWARD TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY" is so obviously a 'chain letter' email that it's not even remotely funny anymore.

If PC users don't have UP TO DATE AV/Firewalls/anti spyware software etc then that's their stupid fault.

How many times do the names ZA, Avast, AVG, Adaware et al have to be mentioned before users get the hint?????

OK rant over now :)

dan11 21:33 29 Jul 05

According to this click here it has been doing the rounds for a few years. Although I have never seen it.

Also click here

Nothing wrong in warning people and no yawn from me. Better to be safe than sorry.;-)

DieSse 22:08 29 Jul 05

Messages like this are "always" a scam - ignore them - please DON'T forward them.

Just make sure you have a decent up-to-date AV program. And if you REALLY want to help all your freinds - tell them they should have one too.

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:10 29 Jul 05

that's a terrible thing to say. Some people may own a computer and have internet access but not know very much about the subject. May not know what a virus is. May not talk to people about computers or participate in forums.

Would they really have heard of ZA, Avast, AVG, Adaware et al?

Probably not, so it's a bit harsh to say it's their own stupid fault.

Bowl, This is definitely a hoax. Screams out "hoax" as soon as you read it once you've seen a few.

The best bit, for me is "It is a virus that will erase your whole "C" drive".

Oh right, so it'll erase the whole C drive, which means it'll erase itself. How does it propogate?

Tas

Tim1964 23:45 29 Jul 05

Tasslehoff Burrfoot

Sorry if my comments seemed a bit harsh but, although you don't need an engineering degree and know all the intamate details of a car to drive one, you shouldn't have to remind owners to put fuel in it and tell them what the pedals do.

Forum Editor 23:55 29 Jul 05

when they receive their first hoax email bowl, and I can quite understand how frightening it is to receive such a message. We all felt the same way when it happened to us for the first time, so ignore anyone who tells you that you're overreacting etc.

Please don't forward the message to everyone you know - that just keeps the hoax going. Instead, remember the style of the message, it's a classic hoax format, and you'll see others like it from time to time. The next time it happens you'll just delete the mail and carry on regardless. The golden rule is never, ever forward virus warnings like this - they are always hoaxes.

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:58 29 Jul 05

but they do need to pass a test. Computer owners don't.

And to continue the analogy, cars generally don't ship with faulty locks enabling malicious drivers of other cars to gain access to the pedals and change the way they work.

I guess. I don't (and will never be able to) drive so I'm out of my depth on this one :)

Anyway, no worries.

Tas

tasslehoff burrfoot 00:26 30 Jul 05

he/she (damn, not calling you a he-she) came here and asked for advice. Lots of people wouldn't they forward it believing they were doing the right thing.

bowl 20:57 30 Jul 05

Tim1964
Yaaaawwnn, not again......
Any message that contains "FORWARD TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY" is so obviously a 'chain letter' email that it's not even remotely funny anymore.
If PC users don't have UP TO DATE AV/Firewalls/anti spyware software etc then that's their stupid fault.

How many times do the names ZA, Avast, AVG, Adaware et al have to be mentioned before users get the hint?????

bowl 21:05 30 Jul 05

Thanks to all the uderstanding people who answered my query. I havent seen this one before and so thought I would bring it to the attention of the forum as I thought that this is what it is all about.

So sorry if I have offended anybody who has more brains than me if only they now went and got lessons in manners as well everything would be ok.

thanks for support as well F.E

Bowl (he)

Tim1964

Yaaaawwnn, not again......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos