900 Workers SACKED!

Autoschediastic 23:16 18 Jun 09

click here

Oh Dear?

D@ve 23:58 18 Jun 09

Perhaps if more companies took this approach then there wouldn't be strikes every week. Sorry, but they get no sympathy from me.

ton 00:39 19 Jun 09

Strikes every week ???

Forum Editor 01:04 19 Jun 09

withdrew their labour in protest at a sub-contractor axing 51 jobs while another employer on the site was hiring people."

So, one company was making people redundant, and another one was hiring, and the workers thought that was wrong, and they went on unofficial strike?

They get no sympathy from me, either.

Picklefactory 09:04 19 Jun 09

I've been a union member all my working life, and agree with the principles when used SENSIBLY. But there are too often those with very little common sense and a militant nature that give the unions and union mentality in general a bad press.
I know in this case the unions do not appear to have had much hand in the strikes, but I don't understand the mentality of people striking to get jobs back?
I can't think of a single example of of a strike that has forced an employer to re-instate redundant workers.
My company has lost over 50% of our workforce in the last 8 months, in case these guys haven't noticed the world is in a recession and the days of companies keeping huge staff levels unnecessarily are, for the forseeable future, gone.
It's very hard to see friends and colleagues leave work after being made redundant, I'm fed up of shaking hands with them lately and understand entirely that it is a hard situation. But the world is what it is right now, and many, many people are in exactly the same position, and the remaining workforce striking will only make matters worse, not better.

Daft and unrealistic

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:12 19 Jun 09

Good, let's see how they get on having to sign on.

G

dagnammit 14:30 19 Jun 09

No sympathy here either. Lazy idiots.

Cymro. 14:54 19 Jun 09

As workers everyone has a right to stop working if they feel unjustly done by, but on the other hand every employer has a right to sack such workers if he feels it the right thing to do.

My sympathy is completely with the workers. No one walks out these days without a very good reason for doing so.

OTT_Buzzard 15:07 19 Jun 09

Does that mean there's 800 job openings up north now? Might be worth a look!!

D@ve 15:18 19 Jun 09

I heard on the news that they have until Monday to re-apply for their jobs. I suspect most of them will be there.

Cymro. 15:38 19 Jun 09

Or they might take the employer to a tribunal for constructive dismissal!!!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced