9 years for speeding death crash...

Quickbeam 09:46 23 Nov 08

click here
What struck me as unusual in this, is that they were convicted on black box data records kept by the cars management system. This was picked up in yesterdays paper click here
"The 4.2-litre silver Jaguar’s “black box” data recorder revealed she was travelling at 113mph. Other traffic had slowed to about 40mph because of water on the road."
This is the first that I've heard of this data being used as evidence in a criminal prosecution.

Something to be aware of if you can't keep within the limits...

g0nvs 10:15 23 Nov 08

"Something to be aware of if you can't keep within the limits..."

In that case then, don't drive.

Quickbeam 10:30 23 Nov 08

Quite.
But the point I make is that just like Dr Shipman thinking he knew enough about computer logs to fake date entries, more and more our lives are monitored in ways we are not remotely aware of.

Many offenders being caught by the use of technologies that we eagerly embrace, mobile phones, high tech cars, web site visits... Food for thought, that's all.

Cymro. 10:37 23 Nov 08

It is not so much the technology that is the problem but the use to which is is put. If a black box in a car stops drivers from speeding then so be it.

What people will protest about is things such as identity cards and CCTV looking over our shoulders all the time. Not that I personally have any problem with ID cards or CCTV.

Quickbeam 10:40 23 Nov 08

"If a black box in a car stops drivers from speeding then so be it."
One step nearer my prediction of satellite controlled maximum speeds taking over from static cameras in my lifetime... That's no problem for me.

cream. 10:46 23 Nov 08

I have nothing against this technology. Lorries, coaches and other vehicles have tachographs that measure speed as with other things.

Why not have it in all cars, so they can record speed, especially excessive speed.

Cymro. 11:35 23 Nov 08

"One step nearer my prediction of satellite controlled maximum speeds taking over from static cameras in my lifetime"

Yes someday certainly, but in your lifetime, surely not as soon as that. Mind you perhaps you are a lot younger than I am at 62 years old.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…