802.11 Draft-N router yes or no

Legolas 18:55 03 Mar 08

I noticed the latest PCA poll on the website, so does anyone have a 802.11 Draft-N router? and if so is it worth changing to the new supposedly faster speed and stronger signal?

Kemistri 20:02 03 Mar 08

click here

No to both questions from me.

TopCat® 21:41 03 Mar 08

You can read Roger Gann's positive article about it at click here TC.

Forum Editor 22:12 03 Mar 08

and it's the best router I've ever used.

Jak_1 22:14 03 Mar 08

I'll be staying with my wired connection. I only have the one pc, no laptop so no point in going wireless.

TopCat® 22:49 03 Mar 08

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my router recently but decided to wait until full ratification of the 802.11n standard takes place, in case of any important changes to specification. Can you say the reason why you settled on your particular make and model and also why you decided to take the plunge early? TC.

€dstowe 06:40 04 Mar 08

I've moved away from wireless altogether, both Internet and input devices.

My networking is done through the mains.

Wireless keyboards and mice were little more than a nuisance with frequent changing of batteries and signal dropouts if you happened to have an arm or book in the wrong place.

The only wireless item I have now is a Plantronics head set which I use with my recently acquired speech-to-text program.

laurie53 07:57 04 Mar 08

Is your new router best just because of the speed, or are there other factors?

interzone55 09:20 04 Mar 08

I'm confused about your comments re wireless keyboards & mice.

Cordless keyboards & mice use rf for transmission, so a book or arm in the way would not block the signal, unless they were made of very dense metal or something.

I use a Microsoft cordless intellimouse and the pickup is tucked away somewhere behind my desk & I have never had problems with dropped connections. Also the battery life is excellent, I've had this mouse for about 9 months now, it's used daily and it's still on the same energiser battery.

As for Draft N routers, as both our laptops only have 802.11g wireless built in I see no point in upgrading until at least one of the laptops dies. As they're an IBM ThinkPad & a Toshiba Satellite Pro I don't see that happening any time soon...

crosstrainer 10:15 04 Mar 08

Go with the FE's suggestion and wait for full ratification. I'm sticking with my old kit until then.

€dstowe 14:03 04 Mar 08

RF or not, this is what would happen. Any solid object between the device and its pick-up receiver would prevent signal transfer and drop the connection, especially the keyboard. This was a Microsoft branded system.

That aside, though, I had no real need for a wireless setup, any more than the loads of people who use wireless Internet and have their lone computer sitting next to the phone input point.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…