8 New Punctuation Marks We Desperately Need

Chronos the 2nd 13:01 PM 21 Feb 13

Over at College Humor.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:36 PM 21 Feb 13

onthelimit1 15:19 PM 21 Feb 13

If many writers used existing ones, it would be a start!

Forum Editor 17:04 PM 21 Feb 13

I agree.

Aitchbee 20:24 PM 21 Feb 13

I do like the Morgan [Freeman] punctuation idea - ie. saying something with the voice of another well-known 'superstar' ... so your message is 'tinged' with that famous person's voice or persona.

Bing.alau 20:24 PM 21 Feb 13

I think I use too many pars, I never use brackets, I think I use quotation marks in the correct way, but one thing I am unsure of is where to put a full-stop/period or a question mark, when I am using quotation marks or Pars. (Sorry I'm not used to spelling the word parenthesis). Does it go before the par or after it?

Aitchbee 20:29 PM 21 Feb 13

... I never use Curly Brackets ... it's a hair thing!

Chronos the 2nd 09:58 AM 22 Feb 13

If many writers used existing ones, it would be a start!

I know my written English is poor, leaving school at fifteen did not help but I think it is a bit pompous to expect people who start a thread or post to get punctuation right because of spell checks I am able to correct errors and also oddly it has help me spell correctly more often in the first place..

I see the FE agrees yet a quote from a former post of his seems to indicate that correct punctuation is not necessary.Why the change of heart I wonder.

"Lots of people write 'loose' when they mean 'lose' and lots of people scatter apostrophes all over the place, or leave them out altogether. Some people write hundreds of words without any punctuation or upper case letters. The fact is, it's not necessary to write immaculate English on order to express and opinion, or ask for help with a computer problem. We don't want to deter anyone from joining our discussions because they're afraid their writing style might come in for criticism."

exdragon 17:50 PM 22 Feb 13

Chronos the 2nd - I took it that onthelimit1's remarks weren't particularly directed at posters here. FE's comments about not expecting immaculate English on the forum have often been made when the topic of grammar etc has been raised.

Of course, I may be wrong...

Bing.alau 20:00 PM 22 Feb 13

exdragon. You are correct and we all are aware that we can't all be perfect. But personally if someone can put me right on when and where to use certain punctuation marks I would be delighted. Live and learn has always been a good maxim for me. I might possibly forget within a few days or weeks, but I would be happy that somebody has tried to get me on the right track.

But please everybody do not try to correct anybody else, they might take exception.

onthelimit1 20:14 PM 22 Feb 13

My comments were slightly tongue in cheek, but, the English language is so rich that it does make me blanch a bit at some of the mistakes that are made (and not just on this forum). I too left school at an early age (OK, it was sixteen, not fifteen) and I do my best to get it right, and am happy to be corrected when I don't!

To a degree I blame the teaching methods that seemed to say 'if you can be understood, it doesn't matter how you spell'. I am pleased that my three offspring overcame this methodology, and are able to express themselves extremely well with the written word (may be down to a boarding school education funded by the RAF - now there's a can of worms to be exploited!)>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know