512 kb ADSL to 1 mb ADSL

CurlyWhirly 08:44 04 Aug 04

I have just been on the click here guide and I am pleased to have seen the following article

"The availability of the 1Mbps ADSL services is set to increase dramatically, with the limit rising from 41dB to 60dB. This should mean that almost everyone who has a 0.5Mbps now, will be able to get the 1Mbps service. The 2Mbps service will currently remain at its loss limit of 41dB.

BT Wholesale is expected to make an announcement on the new limits in the next few weeks. Then there will be a period of time during which all of the online checkers are updated. This means we are looking at September 2004 for when people will be able place orders under the new limits.

Posted: Tuesday, 03 August 2004, 15:13"

I think my prayers have finally been answered as I have been trying to upgrade for months but my line currently has too much line loss.
Knowing my luck even though it says that ALMOST EVERYONE who has a 0.5 mb service can upgrade I will be one of the unlucky ones!
CW

georgemac 08:50 04 Aug 04

click here looks like the 5.5 km wire length distance from the exchange could be increased as that was the original purpose of the trial

CurlyWhirly 08:53 04 Aug 04

I have just been on click here and I am pleased to have seen the following article:

"The availability of the 1Mbps ADSL services is set to increase dramatically, with the limit rising from 41dB to 60dB. This should mean that almost everyone who has a 0.5Mbps now, will be able to get the 1Mbps service. The 2Mbps service will currently remain at its loss limit of 41dB. BT Wholesale is expected to make an announcement on the new limits in the next few weeks. Then there will be a period of time during which all of the online checkers are updated. This means we are looking at September 2004 for when people will be able place orders under the new limits. Posted: Tuesday, 03 August 2004, 15:13"

I think my prayers have finally been answered as I have been trying to upgrade for months but my line currently has too much line loss. Knowing my luck even though it says that ALMOST EVERYONE who has a 0.5 mb service can upgrade I will be one of the unlucky ones! CW

p.s. sorry the above 3 links didn't work as I typed the website in wrong!
Got there in the end!

CurlyWhirly 08:57 04 Aug 04

Georgemac

Yes I have just read your article and it seems quite likely that I may be able to upgrade after all!
If you are wondering why I want to upgrade it is not for using P2P networks (as I have had too much trouble with spyware and trojans in the past)but for large downloads like for example when Microsoft release their Service Pack 2.
Cw

Sapins 09:00 04 Aug 04

10/10 for perseverance CurlyWhirly, good luck with the upgrade, fingers crossed.

Regards,

Sapins.

CurlyWhirly 09:02 04 Aug 04

Sapins

Cheers mate!
All the best CW

CurlyWhirly 09:06 04 Aug 04

I have read an above link provided by Georgemac and in it says

"Another graph showed the phenomenal difference between a face-plate install and a wires-only install. To give you an idea of the difference, at 60dB line loss on a 1Mbps line, 9% of wires-only connections failed, whereas only 2.5% of those with faceplates failed."

How can a faceplate make such a difference?
What exactly do they do?
CW

Mister Splendid©® 18:54 04 Aug 04

My adsl connection always works very well, whether or not I have a plate on my face!

CurlyWhirly 23:30 04 Aug 04

Mister Splendid

Out of curiosity what speed of broadband service do you get?
I mentioned the face plate query as what I was trying to get at was what difference could having a face plate make when you are close to the 'limit' of being able to get the service?
CW

Chegs ® 00:13 05 Aug 04

I dunno the answer either as to why a plate on yer face might gain more speed,but tried a speedtest lastnite both with a plate and without.I found it made not the slightest difference. :-)

I can throw stones through my exchanges windows,so I'm unlikely to encounter noisy lines either.My biggest beef is BT itself,they persist in disconnecting my phone every few months so I want to change from BT.Only problem is I cannot find an ISP that will enable my line for ADSL unless I have a BT account.Once I have the ISP account,I can transfer my phone provider elsewhere,but then BT switch off the line,my ADSL dies,and I would have to return to BT to re-enable my ADSL.A right old merry-go-round that I can not be bothered to play on.

Forum Editor 00:47 05 Aug 04

that the only way it's been possible to increase the ADSL service reach is by raising the acceptable dB loss levels. It's by no means certain therefore, that a line which previously failed the noise test will pass a second time around, although a lot will.

Lots of ADSL lines are working at well above a 75dB loss level, and although there are never any guarantees I expect we'll see hundreds of thousands of new broadband subscribers when the revised loss level acceptance changes are announced.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…