50th anniversary today...

Quickbeam 09:06 05 Dec 08

Of the motorway;)
click here click here & click here

laurie53 10:07 05 Dec 08

Went down it several times on my bike in the first few weeks trying to reach the magic "ton" but never quite making it.

That had to wait until I got a 500 twin, and Goss Moor near Bodmin.

oresome 12:17 05 Dec 08

An interesting perspective fourm member.

It's a pity we can't run parallel societies and then judge the outcomes after 50 years or so.

Quickbeam 12:29 05 Dec 08

"If we'd stuck to maximising rail and bus use we'd have lower emissions, less stress" etc...
That smacks of rose tints and going to the bakers pushing a bike with a wicker basket on the front chatting at every cottage on the way for 5 minutes.

If the Victorians hadn't developed the rail system we'd all be living idyllic lifestyes with the gentle pace of life at the speed of a narrow boat... You can't stop moving forward whether we like what it brings or not.

Looking at the pictures of those new, but empty motorways, they must have know that we desperately needed to move our transport into the modern era.

BT 16:47 05 Dec 08

Its also the 50th anniversary of automated long distance phone calls.
click here

peter99co 19:56 05 Dec 08

I saw a cartoon where all the cars in a long line were linked together and the front one had a driver and then a set of tracks was put under the cars and then the whole lot became a train on tracks.

Natural progression at work?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009