50p charge to ring 999

Algerian peter ™ 19:48 PM 03 Jan 13

David Hamilton, not the small DJ chap but Tayside Police Federation secretary. Recommends a 50p call charge on all 999 calls to cut down on "the sheer volume of emergency calls being made and his idea would make sure only those with “real emergencies” dialled 999."

Would this reduce the number of hoax or stupid calls. Would Tayside police get a share of the premium rate number revenue?

Algerian peter ™ 19:50 PM 03 Jan 13
  Bing.alau 19:56 PM 03 Jan 13

I'd be quite happy to pay a few quid in a real emergency.

interzone55 20:14 PM 03 Jan 13

And you see a car crash, there's a working payphone, but you don't have change.

Would they accept reverse charges do you think?

Aitchbee 20:22 PM 03 Jan 13

It's the-thin-edge-of-the-wedge ... next thing will be "our operators are busy" and some fancy Z-Cars music will get played, then after a minute or two of holding on, you'll find that you've racked up a phone bill for X amounts of pounds.

Bing.alau 20:28 PM 03 Jan 13

Aitchbee. I think you are probably right. But I hope they can play a different tune than Everton's signature tune. Most phone music seems like a funeral dirge to me. You can hear the meter ticking up the pennies as you wait and the music goes around in a continuous loop.

Quickbeam 20:36 PM 03 Jan 13

Now I know there's a winter silly season...

pavvi 20:59 PM 03 Jan 13

I disagree. Enough people cross to the other side of the road as it is. Introduce a charge and that will make matters worse.

kad60 21:20 PM 03 Jan 13

The article stats that those would have to pay a "premium rate" for services but would those services be "premium"...hmmmmm....the more you pay the better the service i presume.

Would this be a local call or outsourced via India or Mongolia.??

BT 08:33 AM 04 Jan 13

For information, in case anyone hasn't heard about it, the NHS Direct number 0845 4647 is being replaced by 111 for non emergency/advice calls. Its not available in all areas yet but all the information is here

NHS 111 phone number

Forum Editor 17:28 PM 04 Jan 13

Abuse of the 999 service is widespread and huge - there can be no doubt that something needs to be done, and the suggestion made by David Hamilton has some merit as a deterrent as far as calls from landlines are concerned.

The problem might be that large numbers of hoax calls are made from payphones and mobiles, and those calls are free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know