4 x 4 cars

sunnystaines 15:25 21 Jan 15

are they any better on ice and snow ot is it just muddy fields/lanes they are better.

I see that most drive in two wheel drive thenauto goto 4x4 when needed.

sunnystaines 15:51 21 Jan 15

looking at the outlander if anyone has had one.

john bunyan 17:00 21 Jan 15

I think that there are the true large 4 x 4's such as the Range Rover and the Toyota Land Cruiser, and these are the all terrain vehicles used in deserts and snow. I had 2 Toyota Land Cruisers in succession at one time when I used to go fishing over muddy fields and wanted to tow a heavy trailer. They had diff lock, high / low ratio and all kinds of controls. The costs are high now - a set of tyres at about £600 and road tax at £450 or more, plus depreciation at £5-6000 a year in first 5 years or so. My wife now has a Mazda CX -5 , and this automatically "decides" to use 4wd, the Tax is £120 for a 2.2 Diesel Automatic and it can tow 2 tonnes. Not a true "mud plugger" but very good all round. We looked at the Toyota RAV4,and Honda CRC and this had the best engine for the diesel automatic at the time over a year ago. They all work better in ice and snow - but any vehicle becomes a sledge on black ice if you try to descend a steep hill with the brakes hard on!

sunnystaines 17:10 21 Jan 15

john thanks think of going auto gear box too.

john bunyan 17:19 21 Jan 15

sunnystaines

Good luck with your choice (PS The Honda was the CR-V, not CRC!)I think the Outlander is Mitsubishi? We like the higher driving position on this type of car where the "bum height above road" makes it easier to slide in and out as arthritis creeps up! I am currently off driving until December (DVLA and medical issues)and am glad we have the smaller vehicle as my wife found the Land Cruiser too big. Hope you find what you want.

sunnystaines 17:23 21 Jan 15

john Landcruiser would be the bee's knees but looking for a cheaper option, test drove the honda's did not like the small seats or the ride, although the gear box was smooth.

Forum Editor 18:17 21 Jan 15

Take a look at a secondhand Hyundai santa fe - you should get a really good one for around £15,000

Quickbeam 18:34 21 Jan 15

I've been into off roading in the past as a leisure activity and had several Landrovers. But for over 30 years since, I've held the opinion that for road use, if a 4x4 represents the ultimate 100% in winter road handling, I rate front wheel drive at about 80% and rear wheel drive at about 20%.

So if I lived in the highlands and expected snow every year, I wouldn't bother unless money was no object. Most modern cars also have some sort of traction/stability control which takes the car to over 80% capability on my scale of ability, which then takes you into serious off road capability to justify 4X4 upfront and running costs to outweigh a modern FWD.

Quickbeam 18:39 21 Jan 15

And 3/4 year old 4x4s are great value for money on account of the massive depreciation that JB mentioned.

Belatucadrus 10:57 22 Jan 15

Ice is also a different kettle of fish, we have a Honda CRV which is great in snow but I still have vivid and rather unpleasant memories of sliding down a steep hill on sheet ice in a somewhat uncontrolled manner. The 4WD didn't help at all and at that moment the high driving position just seemed unstable. Fortunately no damage done but not to be recomended. It also depends where you are, in urban areas winter tyres would probably be as good and cheaper to run than a big 4WD but in the country where snowplows can be infrequent visitors something with greater ground clearence and two extra drive wheels is a lot easier to justify. My brother got a Santa fe and they liked it so much his wife got one as well, they do live out in the wilds of northern Scotland and it's pretty much a necessity there.

Quickbeam 11:07 22 Jan 15

But at the end of the day, all the technical wizardry in the world can't replace driver skills...

Austin 7 hillclimber

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…