4 Films Cost Man $600,000 (Maybe)

PaulB2005 16:05 02 Nov 05

Not sure where to put this one....

67-Year-Old Man Is Sued Over Movies Downloaded by His Grandson

click here

Not sure what to think either. $600,000 over the top?

Perhaps a lesson to PC owners to be more aware of what your (grand)children are doing on your PC?

Haol 16:29 02 Nov 05

Well i think it was pretty rude to and extremely over the top to firstly charge the old man $4,000 then after saying he doesn't have that which he obviously doesn't, charge him $600,000. Even if the film industry does lose $5.4 billion a year, they make like 10 times that when releasing about 50= plus films which 20+ of those are BIG hits and make alot of profit.

spuds 17:02 02 Nov 05

The big fish always try to eat the little fish :o(

plsndrs3 17:04 02 Nov 05

After I read this at first, I thought that the $600,000 was just a figure, that tha MPAA were making an example - as the RIAA did - and that they were seeking publicity but would end up settling for a lot less. Then I realised that they had offered to settle for $4,000.

How long would it take to download 4 films @ a few gigs a time [if they were all done at once]? We're really not talking about a lad with a few minutes time to waste here. Why would he download films his family had - well 3 of them - anyhow? I have heard that the MPAA are working to the same criteria that RIAA were - targeting MAJOR downloaders initially.

I cannot believe that the full might of the film industry would swing into action for 4 films.

JMHO

Paul

Forum Editor 18:15 02 Nov 05

as far as the MPAA is concerned is that these films - once downloaded - were offered for upload to thousands of others. The boy didn't just download a few movies, it looks as though he may have acted as a distributor.

The case may come to court, or it may not, and no doubt we'll know the outcome in due course.

Chegs ® 19:00 02 Nov 05

That means the case hinges on whether the court can be convinced that this statement is true or false...

"The Racine man said his grandson downloaded the movies out of curiosity, and deleted the computer files immediately."

PaulB2005 23:49 02 Nov 05

...even though it must have taken several hours to download the films.

Kev.Ifty 00:10 03 Nov 05

Neither Granddad nor Little Johnny, the Grandson, exist. They are fictional characters made up by people within the industry to scare those that would partake in File Sharing.

If I was employed to track down the 'Bootleggers' that cost the film industry all this money. I would go to the local Car Boot sale and have some of the Ten or Fifteen stall holders that sell this stuff EVERY Saturday/Sunday arrested.

Just a thought!

DieSse 00:58 03 Nov 05

"If I was employed to track down the 'Bootleggers' that cost the film industry all this money. I would go to the local Car Boot sale and have some of the Ten or Fifteen stall holders that sell this stuff EVERY Saturday/Sunday arrested."

I couldn't agree more - would anyone like to volunteer why they don't do it?

PaulB2005 09:05 03 Nov 05

At least near us the Trading Standards do and the stories are often in the local paper. The problem is they can clog up the courts with the "small fry" or take the time to go after the "bigger fish" who also deal in drugs and other areas.

As usual the resources are often laking behind the criminals resources.

Pegasus. 03:13 04 Nov 05

"If I was employed to track down the 'Bootleggers' that cost the film industry all this money. I would go to the local Car Boot sale and have some of the Ten or Fifteen stall holders that sell this stuff EVERY Saturday/Sunday arrested."

Our Local Trading Standards has made quite a few 'Swoops' on the Music & Video Pirates (& at the same time sometimes their accompanying P.C's have Discovered Drugs as well!)

I Don't think Anyone Will Ever Catch All of the Pirates though, it's not always as easy as visiting the local car-boot sales!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…