3D glasses aided Hitler's downfall

TopCat® 17:33 PM 13 May 11

The stereoscope was a simple Victorian invention which works on the same principles of today's 3D glasses. It enabled enemy landscape photographs, scanned by teams of photographic interpreters, to be viewed in 3D, and as a result saved thousands from the VI and II missile onslaught.

This BBC articleClick here explains the stereoscope's capabilities.

For those interested, a documentary of "Operation Crossbow" is broadcast at 2100 BST on Sunday 15 May, on BBC Two. The brilliance of our scientists and of the countless men and women involved in World War II will forever be remembered by a grateful nation. TC.

OTT_B 18:12 PM 13 May 11

Ummmmm. You might want to finish your shopping before posting links!

Forum Editor 18:24 PM 13 May 11

I've edited your opening post to put the link right TC

You had inadvertently posted a Tesco online shopping link!

userious? 18:52 PM 13 May 11

And not a yank in sight.....blimey.

Woolwell 18:57 PM 13 May 11

As a qualified PI I was using very similar stereoscopes in the 1980's. There has to be an overlap between photos to get stereo (3D). Some can squint and see 3D without the stereoscope. It doesn't allow you to measure height though. That it is done by knowing the focal length of the camera and the height it was flown at. 3D's advantage is that it can allow you to determine what is a real and what is a fake target.

Nowadays they are Imagery Interpretors viewing digital imagery.

TopCat® 19:14 PM 13 May 11

My apologies gentlemen for the silly mistake - I happened to get hit by the 'Please wait' bug for quite some time today, but I can't for the life of me explain where Tesco came in!

Thanks, FE, for putting things right - I promise to try the link before posting next time. TC.

anchor 08:48 AM 14 May 11

Thanks for informing us about the programme. I look forward to watching it.

Woolwell 10:45 AM 14 May 11

BTW they are not glasses. They are are not worn but looked through. You have to adjust the height and width for the film and yourself.

TopCat® 11:46 AM 14 May 11

*Woolwell *

Indeed, you and I know how they were used but that reporter is probably too young. :o)

By the way, after a long search I've found what, or rather who, was causing my posting problem. It was my teenager grandson who has some XP games on my PC playing in Compatibility Mode. In keeping with the modern attitude of some, he had enabled all programs to be viewed/played in CM instead of individual ones, and that made the PCA website jump all over the place. It also gave rise to the very long "Please Wait" situation after posting.

Anyway, the lad has been warned, again, and told to leave my settings alone, or else!! TC.

wiz-king 16:55 PM 14 May 11

Oh, I thought you meant these

morddwyd 19:41 PM 14 May 11

"told to leave my settings alone"

Should be told to leave your computer alone!

I would no more allow my son, aged 48 and an MS licensed engineer, to use my computer than I would allow him to use my car!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11