£39 per hour tax free?

georgemac © 19:14 22 May 07

LIstening to the radio in the car today, heard the news story about a benefit cheat, whoa was claiming to be disabled while teaching dance classes click here He had been sentenced to 200 hours community service for defrauding almost £8000. My first reaction was that nearly £40 per hour tax free was (for the community service) no deterrent for others. However the web story I found says he is trying to pay back the money which was not stated on the radio.

Although I have my doubts as to whether the sentence fitted the crime on this occasion, I am glad a tip off led to this guy being caught, and it would appear that more benefit cheats are being caught - let's hope it continues.

click here although in this case there must have been a lot of temptation to continue claiming after having got a job and this person was also ill.

click here I hope this man does get a custodial sentence

click here a strange sentence perhaps?

click here jail sentence

I found the above in a quick google search when I was trying to get more details on the radio story, and hopefully stories like these will deter other cheats. I am all in favour of benefits for those who need and deserve them, and have no time for those who abuse and cheat the system.

TalYasis 19:35 22 May 07

I worry more about the 'great' British business man who has chains of high street fashion shops in his wife's name.
When they cashed in £2 billion shares last year or so,yes that much,then it is tax free because she lives overseas.And not to overlook the low wages and moral of his staff.

So these are the people we should be castigating and jailing really.

Stuartli 19:49 22 May 07

Why?

Any sensible person attempts to absolutely minimise the amount of tax they pay without breaking the law.

It's certainly more honourable in comparison to benefit cheats.

What exactly are the level of "low wages" of his staff?

Most of the staff I've seen in fashion shops when out shopping with my other half seem to spend most of their time chatting nineteen to the dozen.

Tick Tock 3 19:51 22 May 07

Good thread.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:59 22 May 07

'And not to overlook the low wages and moral of his staff.'..how do you know?

'When they cashed in £2 billion shares last year or so,yes that much,then it is tax free because she lives overseas'...it is pefectly legal and I'm sure that you will be doing the same when you make £2Billion. He took over BHS when it was a)virtually bankrupt, b) no one else would invest and he then fed money into it. By his skill it became a huge success. May I ask you how much you would invest in an ailing company? You also have to remember that BHS provides many jobs and pays tax on its' profits.

G

Ranger 21:57 23 May 07

I've always wondered why successive govts ignore tax fraud (approx £75 - £150 billion in 06) while continually having campaigns against benefit fraud (0.97 billion in 06)i'm not condoning benefit fraud, but until the govt treat both as seriously it will always be seen as one law for the rich and one for the poor and a lot of ordinary people will turn a blind eye to it.

PS i'm not claiming/suggesting the tax case mentioned here is tax fraud, just wondering why so many reasources are used to try and stop a .97 billion pound fraud while a fraud much larger is virtually ignored by govts

egapup 08:35 24 May 07

If your on minimum wage then your entitled to benefits, couldn't survive without them.

v1asco 10:30 24 May 07

When my Wife worked in BHS after it was taken over moral slipped quickly. The store was 'revamped' and her section, Customer Services, was moved to an ex-store room. It was hot, humid and very unpleasant. Away from the public eye it was even worse. It took a year just to get a fan. Also her pay rises were reduced to a minimum, not even inflation proof.
She is not there anymore, has moved onto 'greener' pastures, with next to no worries and a more content staff. I feel TalYasis point is correct, there appearred to be very little concern over staff feelings.
The Union could not help as although unpleasant, no laws were being broken.

Strawballs 10:48 24 May 07

The disability system must be one of the most highly abused ones going, all you have to do is park in your local ASDA car park within sight of the disabled spaces and see all the cars coming and going putting up their badges and getting out and wandering in without so much as a limp.

v1asco 17:58 24 May 07

My Mother was disabled and could skip for Britain before she really deteriorated.There are all types of disabilities not just the obvious.

I was in a Tesco Car Park and we parked at in an invalid space. My Wife, the driver, went to the cash point and when she finished I was going to join her shopping. I was in the car about 3 minutes and this lady came up and let loose about me being parked in an invalid space with no badge on display. There was plenty of empty spaces and she was not an invalid. I pointed out that as far as I was aware this was private property and there is no legal obligation to display a badge (perhaps someone out there can clarify this). Still she went on and on and on...........I sat in the car listening to her rant until my Wife appearred with a trolley. Then I got out and her face was a picture. My foot was plastered up to my knee. That soon shut her up.

jay.p 18:02 24 May 07

how can people who have never worked/won't work manage to claim benefits that amount to over the average take home wage. no wonder they will never work.
liz bardsley on wife swap ( prime example ) £29,000 a year due to claiming for everything,whilst the average wage is about £26,000 before tax.out of this we have to pay a mortgage as well so making it such a struggle.
also if you lose your job after working for years they offer you about £46 a week.
basically once to get stuck in the mortgage/job cycle you are stuffed and poor for ever.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced