30th Anniversarry...

Quickbeam 09:04 01 Jan 15

of mobile phonery.

There's no going back with technology. Is there?

Mr Mistoffelees 10:58 01 Jan 15

I refer you back to this, posted by me, under my previous alter ego some time ago.

Quickbeam 11:23 01 Jan 15

Ah, but it's not a cell phone that one!

Forum Editor 11:27 01 Jan 15

In 2013, there were some 96 mobile-phone service subscriptions for every 100 people in the world.

Mobile networks have transformed communications in countries where there are no widespread land-line infrastructures. A couple of years ago I spent some time in Kenya. While I was there I went on a safari into the Masai Mara reserve, and was fascinated to see my jeep driver sharing information about animal locations with his colleagues by phone when we were many miles out in the wilderness. I asked him how that could happen, and he said 'I'll show you'.

We drove a couple of miles, and he handed me a pair of binoculars, pointing to a ridge about four miles away. There it was, a huge satellite dish, handling mobile calls to and from everyone on the reserve. It brought home to me how technology has penetrated even remote locations around the world. In Africa only 1.5% of the population has access to a land-line, but 63.5% have a mobile phone subscription.

Apart from face to face talking, mobile phones are the most widespread means of verbal communication on the planet.

Mr Mistoffelees 17:54 01 Jan 15

Cell phone, shmell phone, it's still mobile, ish!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac