click here

click here

anchor 13:00 05 Mar 05

We must not forget him:

click here

Buchan 35 21:34 05 Mar 05

Brilliant, lads, nice to know that this type of history is not forgotten

CurlyWhirly 20:05 06 Mar 05

It seems strange to find out that the internet has only been around for 30 years!
I wonder what I would be doing if I weren't online (because the internet hadn't been invented), probably watching the tv. :0(

Dan the Confused 21:03 06 Mar 05

If the Internet had never been invented then I would have fixed my shed door by now. Been putting it off for 6 months and counting...

Forum Editor 01:19 07 Mar 05

In the deep midwinter, long, long ago, we would all be gathering around the piano of an evening and singing while mother played. Cook would be in the kitchen making a steak and kidney pie with that nice bit of steak the butcher's boy brought yesterday - all of 1/6d that cost.

The snow is be piled a foot deep against the front door, but never mind....there are lots of logs in the hearth and everyone has had the warmimg pan passed under the blankets by Tilly the housemaid. Later on we'll all be climbing the stairs with a candle to light our way, and snuggling under the eiderdown for a quick chapter of the latest book by that clever Mr Dickens. As we drift off to sleep we'll hear the distant cry of the watch-man as he makes his rounds - "twelve o'clock on a cold winter's night, and all's well".

What was life really like before the internet - I mean, was it worth living?

My father came from a fairly isolated Welsh valley, and spent his early years living in sight of a coalmine. He started work at the pit-face when he was 15, and used to tell me of the dreadful fear that gripped him when he thought of how far underground he was - with hardly any light for company. When he was 18 he escaped to join the Royal Air force, and ended up as a Wing Commander flying Lancasters in WW2. He died without ever hearing of the Internet, or using a computer, and I often wonder what people like him would think, were they still alive.

It does seem as if the Internet has been here forever, but as far as most people are concerned it's really come into its own in the past decade.

Mango Grummit 01:38 07 Mar 05

In the deep midwinter, long, long ago, we would all be gathering around the piano of an evening and singing while mother played. Cook would be in the kitchen making a steak and kidney pie with that nice bit of steak the butcher's boy brought yesterday - all of 1/6d that cost.

Looks to me as if you may be a writer for some of the magazines my wife reads. Of course you would need to introduce some romance but I'm reasonably certain you'd have no problem doing that.

PurplePenny 14:59 07 Mar 05

"It does seem as if the Internet has been here forever, but as far as most people are concerned it's really come into its own in the past decade."

I wonder if the internet would ever have come into its own the way it has without the World Wide Web. I remember the internet pre-WWW and it wasn't the easiest thing in the world to use. The WWW transformed the internet into something which was accessible without arcane, esoteric knowledge.

amyfleur 17:41 07 Mar 05

And if our late loved ones were to 'pop' into the internet now they probably wouldn't understand much of the 'English' language any more.

When I first read 'pre-WWW' (above) I immediately assumed 'world war wun' - I know poor pun! But I had just read FE's remarks about WW2.

I wonder just how many acronyms have been added to the English language since computers and the internet arrived?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…