The £2m traffic camera

Seth Haniel 13:00 25 Jul 10

click here

which has snared 16,123 drivers in three months

spuds 13:19 25 Jul 10

Strange as it may seem, a number of council's are looking at the 'Swindon' way, and that is doing away with speed cameras altogether.

Our local newspaper as been discussing these events recently, and in the main, the opinions is that speed cameras are just revenue earners for some council's and their partnerships, and do not actually save lives, which they were originally attended to do.

Whats wrong with having local volunteer roadside watchers (who know their area) with hand held speed cameras?.

Forum Editor 13:21 25 Jul 10

there have been big warning signs about the changes for quite some time. Because I'm familiar with the area it hasn't been a problem, but I can see how drivers who don't know the road could easily be confused, and enter the bus lane.

The problem is the permanent sign that still directs you to Victoria station along what is now the bus lane. Why they don't simply obscure it with a temporary cover is beyond my understanding.

Forum Editor 13:23 25 Jul 10

This isn't about a speed camera. The camera in question is watching a junction. It nabs you if you enter a temporary bus lane.

karmgord 14:16 25 Jul 10

Three words
Motorist
Cash
Cow

The sign age MUST be confusing (probably the old sign remaining)
I can't believe such a large number of people are stupid
FE
" Why they don't simply obscure it with a temporary cover is beyond my understanding.".

I can think of 16,123 or £2million reasons why they don't.

karmgord 14:32 25 Jul 10

Another example is the CONgestion charge.
If you think you might have strayed into it (road work diversions although often exempt can be an example)or are leaving it right on the exemption times(between 06.00 & 19.00) nobody can tell you if you are liable to pay the charge,but they have the information to issue a PCN,so you have to either pay £8 or risk a big fine
They will not set a scheme where you can register car and bank details to automatically pay, as the penalty fines are needed as they are what finance the scheme.

octal 15:42 25 Jul 10

"motorists still see permanent signposts for Victoria which direct them to make a right turn into what is now a temporary bus lane."

Is there a reason why they don't just cover the permanent sign up? Apart from confusing people into parting with their money, it seems so simple, but then again it's a nice little earner for TFL.

Forum Editor 16:41 25 Jul 10

"They will not set a scheme where you can register car and bank details to automatically pay, as the penalty fines are needed as they are what finance the scheme."

That's precisely what they are in the process of doing. The London Congestion Charge is a very successful scheme, and as someone who drives into the zone on a regular basis I can assure you that without it the city would have come to a halt.

It's not a con at all - the zone is very well marked, and you have only yourself to blame if you fail to notice that you've entered the zone.

QuizMan 17:14 25 Jul 10

I wonder which part of the large red sign that states "Road closed except buses and taxis" people cannot see.

morddwyd 20:13 25 Jul 10

"speed cameras are just revenue earners for some council's"

It's my understanding that the money from speed cameras goes to the Treasury, not to local councils.

Local councils have to pay for their upkeep, so this is an area they can economise.

karmgord 21:09 25 Jul 10

FE
I know Boris promised that, but it's a bit slow in coming don't you think?

Latest news on speed cameras is many will disappear as government withdraws cash to fund them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…