//some 3rd party need geo

2.5 gigapixel photo

Simon_P 02:36 25 Nov 04

No it’s not a typo, it is digital photography gone mad.

Really though this project is pretty amazing, and maybe a because we can effort, the final image is over 7Gig, it is zoomable on the site and the quality is pretty amazing, and apparently needed 5 PC's to process it.

Maybe you will need that 4Mbps connection after all vog!

click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:32 25 Nov 04

Is it me or is that photo really grainy and dark? I've seen better 256k efforts. Back to the drawing board chaps.

G

Dorsai 18:55 25 Nov 04

Where was it taken?

There is a white renault van, number plate 99-JX-VD parked next to a silver toyota hatchbak, reg RN-PJ-57 in the car park of the long office building on the right of the image. They are the last two vehicles on the right hand side of the car park. Just visible in zero zoom.

There is also half a silver peugeot driving up the main road on the right crossing a junction. I guess it was there when they took one photo, but had driven off by the time the took the next, and it cant even be seen on zero mag.

cant see the point of it though.

Simon_P 19:18 25 Nov 04

Just thought it was interesting.

All the location/shooting info is on the site, along with the inconsistencies

Dorsai 19:21 25 Nov 04

I have to agree. It is an intereting feat of image production.

Perhaps the point was just to show it can be done.

Mysticnas 00:12 28 Nov 04

You won't see the image in it's true form on the website. They've said that. Mostlikely the only way to see it, would be to have the actualy image full size on screen (you'd have to scroll around a lot) or printed out full size.

They've mostlikely had to compress the image for web.

Also, depending on your internet connection speeds and pc it may take a little while to filter through the image.

Buchan 35 23:24 30 Nov 04

Dorsai,
the registration number is Dutch so possiby taken in Holland, Belguim Germany, etc etc. As you say "what`s the point of it?"

Buchan 35 23:27 30 Nov 04

O.K so I fell for it, but you did miss the two monkies cycling down the left side of the strasse.

Mango Grummit 17:55 02 Dec 04

Well I think it is amazing. You can zoom in on a roof about half a mile away and see the make-up of each individual pebble there.

Must be 1.75 miles away there is a yellow crane -- zoom in and you can see the welding of the joints on the jib.

This particular picture may be of no interest or use to most of us but the potential for this sort of thing must be enormous.

Anyway, as I say, I think it's amazing but maybe it's an age thing. I can remember my Grandma being impressed when I had the first car that anybody we knew had seen with a fitted heater. When she was a girl there weren't any cars at all of course.

It is my birthday today so please forgive my ramblings. This time I really am going to retire even when they go "pretty please, mate". <hic>

powerless 18:30 02 Dec 04

:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…