24hr drinking to stay...

Quickbeam 12:42 03 Mar 08

click here Quite right too. Just because some can't control them selves I don't want to be thrust back into the archaic Great War licensing laws brought about by the un-Liberal Lloyd George. Where I can't come down off a Cumbrian mountain on a Sunday afternoon and have a pint or three, where on the rare occasions I don't want to go home at precisely 11pm, but have to, where if I were feel like a drink in the early hours on holiday, but can't...

We had the problem before de-restriction, click here We had the problem centuries ago click here We still have it now, so we ain't going to cure it with licensing laws are we.?

As a non to excess drinker, I don't want to be restricted for the inadequacies of those that will be drunkards whatever the licensing laws are...

Legolas 12:46 03 Mar 08

Quite right. After all we have had all day drinking up here in Scotland for years and its not done us any harm now has it?....;)

Cymro. 12:52 03 Mar 08

We had the problem before de-restriction, We had the problem centuries ago. We still have it now, so we ain't going to cure it with licensing laws are we.?

I am glad that you recognize that we do have a problem. Something has got to be done. I don`t know what the answer is. Have you any suggestion Quickbeam?

Stuartli 12:56 03 Mar 08

Make your mind up...:-)

The problem with those who consistently drink to excess (and to be honest most of us as young people did at least once) means that their punishment becomes ours in the long run.

Putting up the price of drinks to try and curb under age or excessive drinking, for instance, brings the law abiding into the area of more expense for no deserved reason.

Quickbeam 13:03 03 Mar 08

'aven't a clue!

The point I make is.. "we ain't going to cure it with licensing laws are we?", so why should we all suffer.

Whatever the price and restricted availability of alcohol, the 'pissheads' will always manage to spend their benefits (that I pay for) on alcohol.

Alcohol controls didn't work in America either with the 'prohibition laws' click here

So, whilst my opening line "'aven't a clue!", may sound quite petty, it's also quite true...

Cymro. 13:07 03 Mar 08

It seems that we are going to agree that it is the excessive drinking that is the problem. But how to reduce it without punishing the rest of us?

How about a complete ban on the advertising of alcoholic drinks?

Ban youngsters under the age of 18 from even entering a pub or a off-licence.

It would not solve the problem but every little helps.

dagbladet 13:08 03 Mar 08

I'm not exactly sure that I have noticed any particular difference since the '24 hr law' was introduced. The 6-7 pubs around the town here are open 11-11 (maybe 22:30 on a Sun) just like they always were. Is it a nightclub thing?

Quickbeam 13:15 03 Mar 08

"Ban youngsters under the age of 18 from even entering a pub or a off-licence"

I have a sister and cousin in Italy that have brought up children there. They don't have all these age controls, they just introduce alcohol as something that you may, or may not want to try.

In this country we have the culture of, "right your 18 now, I'll show you how to get right properly wrecked!" It's seen as something to aspire to, it even pulls in Prince Harry and the like.

Licensing controls aren't going to cure it with a swift change in the law.

Quickbeam 13:19 03 Mar 08

I work in private hire until the early hours... believe me, in largish towns there are real drunks in their teens/early 20s on their hands and knees, as they were before the licensing law changes.

Snec 13:23 03 Mar 08

There are even more dangers connected with drinking it seems.

Scientists have recently discovered that alcohol changes certain male hormones into those of a female. Apparently after a few drinks men start talking gibberish and lose the ability to drive properly.

wee eddie 13:25 03 Mar 08

The problem is almost entirely within the Town/City Centres and I have no solution.

The young congregate in a relatively small area for a short period of time they drink as fast as they can.

The concept behind the 24 Hour Drinking Law was that, as their money had no increased, the drinking would be spaced over a longer period of time.

I believe that we have not yet given the 24 Hour system sufficient time to work. I think that 5 -10 years would be needed to change such a deeply ingrained culture. At the present, most of the local Clubs still close at about the same time. To start making the necessary changes in culture we need at least one club, maybe more, that is open until 6am.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac