£2 a litre !

PalaeoBill 23:16 05 Mar 11

click here

Given the difference between the amount of oil the UK exports and the amount it imports is minimal, and the oil we export is 'our' oil, why is it so difficult to have an internal price that is buffered against the vagarities of the market.

In a similar vein, since 'we' own most of the banks now, why can't we tell them what to do?

I'll get me coat.

ronalddonald 23:59 05 Mar 11

my eyes might be watering its just like paying high parking charges

MAJ 00:05 06 Mar 11

"In a similar vein, since 'we' own most of the banks now....."

You still can't believe that, PalaeoBill, you don't own the banks, you just bail them out, someone who's pay-grade is way above the taxpayer's own the banks. Don't kid yourself for a moment that you or your MP has any say in what the banks do.

spuds 10:42 06 Mar 11

The mysteries of life and modern living. Whatever you do don't question it, because you will surely be in the wrong :O((

And as for petrol being £2.00 a litre, then its a case of grin and bear it. Most pump prices now seem to vary on a daily basis, in any particular location. But if you spend over £50.00 in Tesco, they will knock off 5p a litre at the pumps?.

rawprawn 15:50 06 Mar 11

£2 per litre, god I hope not

spider9 16:52 06 Mar 11

Beer costs around £4.20 per litre (av £2.40 per pint).
Compare the costs involved, in extracting the oil transporting from Middle East, refining and transporting to petrol stations, with the costs involved with brewing beer.
On safety grounds alone the costs for petrol are monstrous!
Then ask which of the two products is most useful to you.

So why all the fuss about £2 per litre?

PalaeoBill 17:31 06 Mar 11

You have to factor in the costs of beer to your liver, the NHS, the Police, your marriage, ...
Someone had to plough fields, plant and grow yeast, sugar and barley, refine the sugar, filter some water, add all the stuff together, apply smoke, mirrors, pixie dust and the odd rat to brew it, and eventually as if by magic we get beer. Make a single error in the process (don't clean well enough, cook too long, don't cook enough etc.) and its not drinkable.

Oil, yep you have to drill a hole, suck it out and crack it in a refinery, but all in all it doesn't cost that much.

The fuss is that I don't want to pay £2 for a litre of it when its worth about 40p. Nor do I want to have to stand the increased cost of transport on every thing I buy.

When the price of oil goes up the government makes more money. I just want them to give some of it back.

spider9 17:49 06 Mar 11

"I don't want to pay £2 for a litre of it when its worth about 40p"

Anything is worth what someone else will pay you for it - so you cannot say oil is only 'worth' 40p!!

Quickbeam 18:04 06 Mar 11

When it was 40p a litre (about the mid '80s?), I didn't want to pay that much, now I'd gladly pay £1 a litre again!

MAJ 18:20 06 Mar 11

The biggest con was when they decided to sell fuel in litres rather than gallons, it used to rise in price by one or two pence a gallon, now it's one or two pence a litre, about five times as much. Remember that when next you are asked if you think it's a good idea to join the Euro.

JYPX 18:24 06 Mar 11

Is anybody really suprised by what we are facing? And yet what have we done to prepare? A tiny number of electric cars on our roads in the next few years will make little difference. Some years ago Citroen came up with a cheap, lightweight, stripped down Saxo which was producing somewhere near 100mpg. Was there huge interest? No - because shortly afterwards the oil crisis was over and nobody was interested. Next time you on the motorway at peak times, count the endless numbers of ridiculously overpowered vehicles, each occupied by just 1 person, among the 6 lanes of standing traffic, and ask yourself - Is it just possible that we will get what we deserve?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…