1971 Car Repair Manual

laurie53 11:45 28 Jul 09

I have a workshop manual for 1971 Toyota Crown 2600.

It was used for rings, big ends and mains so is pretty tacky, though complete, and can't be sold.

Seems a pity to junk it but I can't find a classic club or anywhere that might appreciate it for their library.

Anybody got any ideas?

Quickbeam 12:00 28 Jul 09

I've also got loads of car & bike manuals from the early '70s on, and can't just chuck them.

Strawballs 11:43 02 Aug 09

Check google to see if there are any forums for any makes models you have books for you might find someone who will appriciate them.

crosstrainer 12:01 02 Aug 09

I'm in the same boat, motorcycle's cars (mostly old Alfa's and BMW's) As you say, there must be a club somewhere that would value these items, but one thing to remember is that with the introduction of unleaded fuel....All classic cars and bike's have to have the valve seats and valves hardened. The additives just don't work, and as a result, the sad fact is that many clubs have gone into decline.

I did my last re-build in 1998 ( A Honda 550 Four) and an Alfa Romeo sud (rescued from Italy)

I have not attempted one since, and of course health would not allow it anyway..All I can suggest is that you have a browse through some of the classic car sites and mags.

johndrew 12:13 02 Aug 09

People do sell such things click here

But if you want to donate you could look at these:

Car forums click here|countryGB

Motorcycle forums click here|countryGB&ei=1XN1St2AMMGZjAeejNmoBg&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=motorcycle+forums&spell=1

I`m almost certain there will be takers in this lot.

johndrew 12:17 02 Aug 09

Sorry not good links.

Car forums click here

Motorcycle forums click here

crosstrainer 12:20 02 Aug 09

Bookmarked....Seems a shame to have them lying around when others could take advantage of the information! A also have a list (bit out of date now) where most unobtainable spares can be had.

laurie53 19:41 02 Aug 09

Thanks for the further responses.

I did Google before I tried the forum. I got rid of a Daimler V8 manual to the owners' club that way last year, but no-one seemed interested this time.

crosstrainer 09:08 05 Aug 09

Large V8's will run happily on LPG (although you do still need a 2 minute start up on petrol)

A neighbour owns a classic which he uses everyday...Has to travel down to Cardiff Bay to fill with LPG, but nice to see the old car used daily.

Diemmess 09:32 05 Aug 09

I found a 1930 Lagonda owner's manual in the roof space of where I lived 40 years ago, kept it with other junk until last year when I put it on eBay.

It was collected by a guy who travelled half across the kingdom and was delighted with it @ £90

Now if you keep yours for say another 50 years....

Armchair 09:57 05 Aug 09

I binned a few hundred old car brochures a couple of years ago. Sent them to the recycler. '70s/'80s. They were just clutter to me, the remains of a collecting hobby I used to indulge in during my long lost youth. Looking at them, I realised that I just didn't care any more.

Should I have made an effort to sell them? No, because I never sell anything privately. Money isn't everything. Should I have made an effort to pass them on to a collector for free? Again no, because I couldn't be bothered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…