1955 Le Mans

Quickbeam 09:18 15 May 10

BBC4 have a program on tomorrow night 'The Deadliest Crash' click here

This was the one where a Mercedes crashed killing dozens of spectators.

jakimo 11:05 15 May 10

I remember how everyone was bewildered why the race was allowed to continue,and how the French used the poor excuse that stopping it would have hampered the rescue services,couldn't happen today

QuizMan 23:48 16 May 10

I remember something similar happened about 10 years ago, thankfully with no injuries.

I believe this was the incident click here

Quickbeam 05:55 17 May 10

That clip of yours Quizman reminds me of the old stories about Brooklands, if you left the track at speed there, you went straight into dense woodland, I don't think anyone survived that.

Sterling Moss is a source of many great tales from when racing was real racing, as he likes to put it, you literally took your life in your hands in every race. The common walkaway F1 shunts we see now, usually resulted in a fatality... but the show went on click here

interzone55 09:10 17 May 10

"Sterling Moss is a source of many great tales from when racing was real racing, as he likes to put it, you literally took your life in your hands in every race. The common walkaway F1 shunts we see now, usually resulted in a fatality... but the show went on"

And are you trying to say that's a good thing? Should the F1 teams remove all the safety features so we have some kind of gladiatorial combat on a Sunday afternoon?

Quickbeam 09:15 17 May 10

Not at all, I was just commenting that he's a very interesting man to listen to. But he's definitely from a different era when he goes on about the cavalier attitude they had towards death as being an acceptable occupational hazard in early racing.

Quickbeam 09:17 17 May 10

Zeitgeist is what he'd call it.

peter99co 20:58 17 May 10

Stirling told a story of driving off a sliproad at speed from an autobahn and whilst drifting the car one handed up the curved ramp replaced the cassette in the player which slightly suprised the passengers in the car with him.

He also could drive through a long run of narrowing hay bales and exit a gap less than one inch wider than the car he was driving.

peter99co 21:32 17 May 10

On BBCi Player if you missed it (bbc4)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac