172 mph

Pamy 19:02 24 Sep 07

Why are car manufacturers allowed to build cars for british roads that can do more than 172 mph?

click here

SANTOS7 19:12 24 Sep 07

All cars manufactured can exceed the national speed limit (reliant robins have no place in the 21st century), this particular car is capable of 172mph.
The driver was considered to be driving dangerously, if the car, or any other, capable of such speeds are built and designed to travel that fast there is a bone of contention as to wether they are actually driving dangerously or not..

octal 19:15 24 Sep 07

While I agree with you, it's not really the manufacturers fault, it's the irresponsible nut behind the wheel. My car will do well over 100mph, but do I do that? No, I stick to the speed limit like any other sane person should do.

Earthsea 19:25 24 Sep 07

'...a bone of contention as to wether they are actually driving dangerously or not..'

How can driving at 172mph when other vehicles are driving at no more than 70mph not be dangerous?

SANTOS7 19:35 24 Sep 07

So how many cars in the outside lane of a motorway do you see driving at 70mph. i'll tell ya NONE...
I am not aware of what m/way this car was on and what time of day it was so i am assuming it wasn't during peak hours, if this guy has open road and he's gonna try it out who is to say he was driving dangerously, i can understand what your saying but the fact is people will always test the limits...

interzone55 19:40 24 Sep 07

He was driving down the A420 near Oxford, which is a pretty fast stretch of road.

I drive down this road a couple of times a year, and often my car is rocked by cars zooming past.

Pamy 19:51 24 Sep 07

Our top speed limit is 70mph. what I am realy asking I suppose is, do you think cars on our roads should be limited to say 100mph?

spuds 19:52 24 Sep 07

Just before the 70mph speed limit was placed on motorways, the M1 (being the hub of motor manufacturing) was used as a testing ground for some high performance test cars. Nothing like looking in the rear view mirrors seeing an object in the distance, then the next few seconds something screamed by you at whatever speed. Now that was a frightening experience.

octal 20:02 24 Sep 07

"Our top speed limit is 70mph. what I am realy asking I suppose is, do you think cars on our roads should be limited to say 100mph?"

Absolutely not, everyone knows what the speed limit is. It's bad enough having trucks limited to 60mph with them doing about 1mph difference in speed while they are trying to overtake without having the same for cars, personally I think it would be dangerous.

SANTOS7 20:02 24 Sep 07

An A road "WOW" that makes a bit of diference then.

Pamy there is food for thought and it sorta makes sense, there is a school of thought that if cars had the fuel tank in the front bumper we would all drive more safely..

Si_L 20:11 24 Sep 07

'...a bone of contention as to wether they are actually driving dangerously or not..'

Listen to the report, it would have taken the guy half a kilometre to stop in an emergency. That is dangerous.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…