111 the new telphone service

ronalddonald 11:51 23 Aug 10

click here

may be we should do this

999 for the police
222 for the fire brigade
333 for the ambulance service

Clapton is God 13:18 23 Aug 10

Why over-complicate a simple and effective system which has served us well for decades?

peter99co 13:18 23 Aug 10

Bit of a problem if someone sets fire to your car and injures themselves and you need all three services

Covergirl 13:20 23 Aug 10

It might stop some of this kind of stuff

click here

click here

spuds 13:30 23 Aug 10

If I remember right, the 999 system was based on the finger position of the old type dial-up telephones.

With all this 'modern' technology nowadays and tendered-out services, things are likely to change. Now whether thats for the better ( like the intro of 0870/0845 to GP practices!), we will need to see.

ella33 13:40 23 Aug 10

I thought the new 08 numbers for surgeries were expensive, especially on a mobile, i am more inclined to walk down there. There is a huge queue for the reception now rather than phone calls but the elderly find this difficult, in fact some that I know have been given a local number for some services they need regularly because their phone bills went up with the new numbers.

The system of 999 for all emergencies seemed to work well as the operator was silled at knowing which service was needed. They might assess that someone needs an ambulance for shock, for instance, when I was thinking the police only were needed. I can't say I have used it a lot but it has been a good system. It is also used by young children, I wonder if they could cope with a choice of numbers?

Quickbeam 13:52 23 Aug 10

To be honest as most people know the 999 number, and so many use it improperly, that should be kept and a real emergency can be transferred to another line with a real emergency operator on the end.

i.e. A caller at the scene of an RTA will be transferred to the relevant real emergency service for free as at present.

But the spider in the bath woman will be transferred to an emergency plumbing call out service and then charged at £2 per minute to pay for her stupidity. The man whose wife went out without making his tea, would be transferred to a direct line onto the Jeremy Kyle show and charged at £5 per second for his much greater stupidity, and the dipstick that rang to complain that his dole cheque hadn't arrived, *censored suggestion*...

johndrew 15:11 23 Aug 10

The report said that the 999 service provided only for 'life threatening situations' perhaps this should be better defined as it is possible to sustain injuries which will heal themselves but leave crippling consequences. With some of the 'jobsworths' we have around I can see a huge increase in formal complaints and legal actions resulting from this.

A typical example of what I mean is the recent fatal shooting in Nottingham where reports say it took 45 minutes for the first responders to arrive. It may not have been possible to save a life in this case but I feel certain it wont always be so.

michaelw 15:12 23 Aug 10

We had a non emergency number and the selling point was 'If a burglary is in progress ring 999. If it has already happened ring (can't recall the number).

I rang the non emergency number because builders were working noisily on a Sunday using power tools, which is illegal. I couldn't find the council's number. I was told by an irritated twat that I should ring Trading Standards.

spuds 16:20 23 Aug 10

Our local main hospital have located a 'Urgent Doctor' unit next door to the A&E department. The idea of the first unit was for anyone who was unable to see a GP for urgent treatment 24/7. Now the hospital authority is moaning like mad about the people who are using the wrong service for their condition.

Perhaps the list of telephone numbers for various services, with leave the consumer even more confused. Maybe more so on a weekends drinking session.

Our local council in conjunction with many other agencies had a 24 hour telephone one number contact point. The telephones were manned by 'civilians' who gave advice from screen information and anything of an emergency or urgent nature was passed straight on to the relevant experts. The government gave a subsidy for the trial period, and the services or agencies met the shortfall in revenue. The scheme was a total success, but was abandoned after a couple of years because the government stopped their funding.

morddwyd 20:41 23 Aug 10

"333 for the ambulance service"

On most airfield telephone exchanges 333 will get you "Aircraft Emergency".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009