£110M to Africa & Middle East from the UK?

Portal11 27 May 11

Africa & the Middle East due to get a nice £110 Million over four years then there is the cost of the war, Does anyone think we are spending too much on other countries?

I am on the Fence with this so i am not siding cause i DONT know the facts..

Whats Your thoughts on this guys?

READ HERE

zzzz999 27 May 11

You usually find they have to then spend that money buying British made goods

spuds 27 May 11

" buying British made goods". Would that be armaments then!.

anskyber 27 May 11

Indeed, but let's not get too watery eyed over the aid debate.

Of course we are acting in a humanitarian way but we are also acting in cold self interest. Aid equals influence in the region and influence is never too far away from financial benefit to us through contracts/mineral exploitation and the like.

woody 27 May 11

Any one that works for a large company knows that when they are given - say - tickets for their staff do the boss's quickly give them to the cleaning lady and the door man?

In general I am against giving money to the boss's /presidents etc.There are better ways we could help the ones at the bottom. A simple example -poor dry countries - water will bring food etc. Send a team from here with drills pipes etc and show them how to do it. Then move on and show others how to do it leaving behind the drills for others to use and send them new bits/pipes as necessary. It will be harder for the big machinery to disappear into a bank! Send equipment of the kind they need and we get the jobs they get the benefit.

spuds 27 May 11

woody

The idea you have suggested is perhaps a very good one, and in some areas of the globe, this type of work is already going on, usually undertaken by charities and people donations.

But we also have the other side of the coin, when items that are sent to aid a country are stolen, no matter the size. Many years ago, I was involved in a project, and the rather large machinery involved was stripped down overnight. It didn't take very long to get the items back, because the 'newness' became very identifiable in the area.

¿ unsure ¿ 28 May 11

"Africa & the Middle East due to get a nice £110 Million over four years"

That equates to 1p per person per week for 4 years. Or 50p per year. That is not much to aid a small bit of poverty in the world.

Forum Editor 28 May 11

"Of course we are acting in a humanitarian way but we are also acting in cold self interest."

Which would seem to me to be the perfect combination of motives.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

Found Studio reveals the making of the Unleashed, Uncut Peugeot 208 viral

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message