The 10th planet?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:55 25 Jun 06

click here

The AIU are currently discussing the definition of what actually is meant by "planet". and will give a decision in September.

My definition of a planet is:

Does not burn its own substance, its gravitational pull is stronger than the sum of its material (i.e. its round), it orbits a Sun but it is not in orbit around another celestial body (i.e. not a moon).

This is bigger than Pluto so if this is not a planet then Pluto will have to go as well. (Don't know what Mickey Mouse will do with out him.)

other definitions here click here
one of which appears to state there are only seven planets in the solar system.

Any thoughts?

semag 12:08 25 Jun 06

Im waiting for the day when they find an habital one orbiting another sun, then the debate will be whether we should try and go there.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:11 25 Jun 06

They have click here

johndrew 13:43 25 Jun 06

The only change I would suggest for your definition is to change the word `Sun` for `Star`.

A bit pedantic I know but then look at the problems being encountered by the AIU and many astronomers.

DieSse 14:53 25 Jun 06

I don't think your definition as precise enough, in that itlso begs the question of "what is a star" (Sun you said, but I accept you prolly meant star).

This makes intrestin reading click here

Still the question remains - what does it matter what it's called, as long as you know about it and where it is.

Let's face it, call Pluto a planet or call it something else - it don't change Pluto!

ade.h 14:57 25 Jun 06

Pluto is described by some purists as "not a planet" because it is a body of ice. Though I am not sure how the requirements are decided: ice - not a planet - gas - it's a planet. I suppose that if the body of gas has a solid core, then that counts; Pluto is apparently entirely ice (though presumably with some rock fragments mixed in).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:25 25 Jun 06

that's what the augments and discussions are all about, there does not seem to be a precise definition for "planet"

Some of my favourite cartoons involve Pluto.

Arthur Scrimshaw 21:19 25 Jun 06

Did you see that Astronomer chap featured on 'Horizon' last week? - your definition of a planet is exactly the same as his! I reckon you could do him for plagiarism!

WhiteTruckMan 21:53 25 Jun 06

Sun? Planet? I thought they were gears in one of my cars diffs!

WTM

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:09 26 Jun 06

See what you mean (someone lent me a tape toay)
but he didn't mention the moon bit.

had a big intrest in astonomy, untill this forum came along, still dabble a little bit.

bluto1 21:29 26 Jun 06

Thanks mate....you`ve now destroyed my idea of what car diffs are.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…