100GB small hard drive

WhiteTruckMan 23:51 26 Dec 06

click here

It almost sounds like it makes sense to say that making drives bigger means you can make them smaller. I'm sure I could come up with a couple of uses for this little beauty.

WTM

rdave13 23:56 26 Dec 06

Things to come? Stacked side by side and connected would give some harddrive space.
Plus each one partitioned would give more security incase af a failure of one?

Totally-braindead 00:00 27 Dec 06

Very interesting, wonder how they would compare with standard hard drives with reliability. Can you imagine how many of them you could fit in a standard PC case.

WhiteTruckMan 00:04 27 Dec 06

would be some form of mp3 type player, or some palm pilot type device, but I had in mind a camera type application as it doesnt look much bigger than some types of flash memory.

WTM

radi8or 05:04 27 Dec 06

My wife has a Sony NW-HD5 click here which has a 20gb HD, which is very nearly full, and she is making noises about a new one. Do you think it's likely one of these would or could be fitted ?

Regards Bob

interzone55 19:22 27 Dec 06

These drives are for full size iPods and very small laptops. They are fine for music and low-res video playback, but no good for general PC use as access times are too slow.

These 1.8" drives have a spin speed of 3600rpm, whereas most laptop & PC drives spin at 7200rpm, with the highest speed drives running at 10 or 15k (you can cook your dinner on those drives)

Also, at 1.8" it would take a big camera to hold one of these babies. If you do want a hard drive in your camera, look at this... click here

It holds 12gb and will work in most SLRs that hold a CF type II card. It would use too much power to work in a compact digicam.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:56 27 Dec 06

build a computer to fill a large room, when they keep making things smaller? :-)

WhiteTruckMan 22:16 27 Dec 06

Alan14-thanks for that link, pretty interesting I thought. I also think that its still a maturing technology, with a fair ways to go yet. You could certainly spin a smaller platter a lot faster than the given, but perhaps we are pushing the limits of currently available motors. Or maybe its a trade off between access speed, power consumption and heat dissipation.

Mr Mistoffelees-Perhaps I could interst you in one of these?

click here

Maybe for next christmas, or maybe someone will launch a piece by piece magazine with all the components to collect for only 5.99 per week for the next 200 years:-)

WTM

Mr Mistoffelees 19:20 28 Dec 06

Now THAT is a proper computer :-))

interzone55 21:50 28 Dec 06

I think the main problem with spinning small drives fast is the heat generated. I had a 4GB compact flash sized hard drive and it became too hot to touch after about an hour of use. and this was one of the 2nd generation drives (the 12GB one is 3rd generation) and it only had a 2400rpm spin speed.

It was a marvel of miniturisation though, I pulled it apart after it died and couldn't beleive the size of the parts.

Mr Mistoffelees - here's a room size computer click here
although these new supercomputers are not as photogenic as the one in WhiteTruckMan's link

WhiteTruckMan 22:20 28 Dec 06

to re-visit the link I supplied for Mr Mistoffelees, scroll to the bottom of the page and follow the 'back to univac memories' link.

Alan14- I suppose it doesnt help that such drives are buried in a small device where space is at a premium, else why use a small drive in the first place. Ultimately, most of the energy put into these things is going to come out as heat, so perhaps having hotter running devices might be one way to go.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos