100,000 to lose winter fuel allowance

Algerian peter ™ 25 Jun 13

Live in a warm country and get winter fuel allowance, maybe not for to much longer.

enter link description here

I wonder if they can find a way to restrict welfare payments abroad?

Dragon_Heart 26 Jun 13

Strange no one has made comment on you post ....... ?

I strongly agree UK resident pensioners’should get free TV licences, bus passes and winter fuel payments but why should you need a winter fuel payment if you live in an area of the world that warm for most of the year ? You might need the payments if you moved to Australia to pay for the air-con !

I know winter fuel payments for benefit claimants is dependant of the average weekly temp' dropping to zero or below, does this not apply to pensioners ?

I recall a comment about does Mick Jagger need his winter fuel payment ?

If you can afford to move out of the UK for most / all the time after retirement they forget any access to winter fuel payments and leave the money for those in the UK who actually need it.

Do other places in the UK have these payments ?

wiz-king 26 Jun 13

It does make sense, but you could argue that it is used to keep their house in the UK frost and damp free awaiting their return to these shores.

I know winter fuel payments for benefit claimants is dependant of the average weekly temp' dropping to zero or below, does this not apply to pensioners ?

Pensioners who receive pension credit or a disability premium get an addition £25.00 a week if the average local temperature drops to :-

"Cold Weather Payments are made when the average temperature for your area is recorded as 0° Celsius (freezing point) or below over seven consecutive days. They are also made when the Meteorological Office forecasts such a spell of cold weather. "

spuds 26 Jun 13

Perhaps we need to ask why people who are entitled to these payments, left these shores for warmer and perhaps healthier climates?.

Would they become a burden on the NHS if they stayed?.

Considering that I and my neighbours use to receive on a regular basis, literature from the government about 'entitlements' that were going unclaimed (in the thousands), and then when making a claim, only then being rejected due to some catch 22 situation, makes the whole whole situation as being a bit of a farce. Most of this literature as since ceased, because it was costing more, to inform people, than actually paying any 'entitlements' out.

Mr Mistoffelees 26 Jun 13

"It does make sense, but you could argue that it is used to keep their house in the UK frost and damp free awaiting their return to these shores."

If they can afford to live abroad and maintain a home here, they don't need a winter fuel payment.

morddwyd 27 Jun 13

There's a bit of confusion here.

The Winter Fuel Payment is not temperature deponent, but a flat rate £100 (sometimes more) paid to all pensioners, whether or not they pay a fuel bill.

It is paid automatically in November or December.

The winter fuel payment varies from £100 to £300.

winter fuel payment

As above they can also get cold weather payments if they get certain benefit supliments of £25 a week in cold snaps.

cold weather payments

HondaMan 27 Jun 13

If you can afford to move out of the UK for most / all the time after retirement"

Some people I know, HAVE to move abroad in the winter as they cannot afford the costs of staying in this country. Now what does THAT say about our country?

john bunyan 27 Jun 13

HondaMan

"Some people I know, HAVE to move abroad in the winter "

It is very hard for them, but, curiously, at the same time many EU people are moving to this country at the same time. I heard that many hotel workers in Bournemouth are Spanish.

HondaMan 27 Jun 13

Yes, JB, because our way of life is much better that they have at home, free healthcare, jobless benefits, regulations governing how they can be treated at work, minimum wage, the list goes on and on and.........

Of course we do have a, theoretical at least, minimum wage, but in many cases this is simply ignored after all, no one will report the employer if it means losing their job and possibly being deported/.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message