100% made of glass...

Brumas 20:31 25 Nov 06

In this day and age where science and technology knows no bounds would it be possible to build a house entirely out of glass? Simply 100% glass .
The foundations, support beams, roof tiles – everything, and would it be strong enough to support its own weight.

I wouldn’t want one myself but the idea intrigues me! Obviously the glass in certain areas could be opaque and different textures where common sense dictated!

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:46 25 Nov 06

click here

click here
click here

It would appear to have been exercising the brains of architects for some time now.

G

wiz-king 20:51 25 Nov 06

Walls are no problem, glass bricks have been about for years and would be OK. Holes for the windows and door could be a problem but using arched construction could overcome this, the roof is the big problem. If you don't mind a dome on your glass house then I think it could be done. Think Eskimo's igloo in glass blocks.

KingCanute 22:31 25 Nov 06

The Eden Project is also a good example of a domed roof.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:38 25 Nov 06

Just don't throw stones :0)

WhiteTruckMan 22:45 25 Nov 06

should draw the blinds before removing their trousers"

-Spike Milligan

Brumas 23:02 25 Nov 06

I was thinking along the lines of say, a conventional bungalow or a small cottage with normal pitched roofs. This I suspect would be quite difficult?

WhiteTruckMan 23:41 25 Nov 06

about the 100% thing you could probably do a bang up job with fibreglass.

WTM

rodriguez 03:20 26 Nov 06

I would actually live in a 100& glass house. It would be cool - you could see all the wiring in the walls and stuff. However the bathroom would have to be made of non glass bricks - I wouldn't want anyone being able to see me in there.

Forum Editor 10:00 26 Nov 06

with glass bricks.

They need to have steel reinforcing rods inserted, even in a moderately high wall, to provide any kind of structural stability, and they cannot be cut or drilled as easily as conventional materials. The cost would be astronomical. Insulation to comply with modern building regulations would be extremely difficult.

There are too many other technical and aesthetic roblems to list here - suffice it to say that it would be practical impossibility as far as domestic dwellings are concerned.

Probabilitydrive 10:07 26 Nov 06

And what would you put in thehouse other than...click here ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…