The £1 in you pocket....

Seth Haniel 13:33 27 Jul 10

may not be..
click here

Nearly two million counterfeit £1 coins were returned to the Royal Mint in the last financial year, figures show.

An estimated one in 36 £1 coins in circulation are counterfeit, prompting a campaign by the Royal Mint telling people how to spot fakes.

daytimers82 14:55 27 Jul 10

I have too check all my £1 coins now, ive got quite a few

anchor 15:05 27 Jul 10

How to identify the fakes.

click here

How often do you examine your change in such close detail?; I certainly don`t.

johndrew 15:10 27 Jul 10

There was an interesting bit on this subject in "Fake Britain" (BBC 1 last evening). A retire expert from the Royal Mint was sent into various shops and onto market stalls to examine £1 coins. He was surprised at the number he found in such a small sample.

There was also the comment that these coins had been in circulation for about ten years but that Banks had continued to recirculate rather than withdraw them.

I wonder if this shows the true size of the problem. If banks have a concern that it will affect the bottom line .......

rawprawn 15:20 27 Jul 10

I only found out that I had one when a Parking Machine refused it.

spuds 16:19 27 Jul 10

Glad that I got rid of a few £1 coins this morning. Had I not done so, and saw this item afterwards, I would have been a very worried person ;o)

Any dodgy £2.00 coins about.If so I have a few of those to get rid off quickly.

Pine Man 16:32 27 Jul 10

For goodness sake don't look at any coins that you already have in your possession because if you find out that they are dud you are in big poo if you try and pass them on knowing that they are dud.

Ignorance is bliss!

karmgord 18:55 27 Jul 10

A good sign of a fake is when vending machines reject them

morddwyd 20:03 27 Jul 10

Best way to get rid of them is to find a little old lady about to collect a supermarket trolley.

Offer her yours with your dodgy coin still in the slot, take her coin and job is done.

Of course, she might not be a little old lady but a serial forger!

onionskin 21:59 27 Jul 10

Don't know why, but I always seem to find more counterfeits in my change during the school holidays.

morddwyd 08:44 28 Jul 10

Well, the children are always looking for something to do during the school holidays.

Perhaps some of them have found something!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…