£1 billion each? I'll take four.

Forum Editor 09:43 04 Sep 10

Britain's new attack submarine - quite something. I know someone who was on the team that designed some of the software for this vessel, although if he told me what it could do he would have to kill me.

click here

WhiteTruckMan 10:05 04 Sep 10

£2bn for three subs, the cost has risen by and extra £bn. I have to wonder just what the point of estimates is when they are so often so wide of the mark. Think the dome, or the london olympics, for which we have yet to see the final bill.

And don't get me started on government IT projects...

WTM

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:33 04 Sep 10

The Taliban, Al-Qaeda and the rest of the assorted terrorists must be absolutely bricking it.

G

zzzz999 11:12 04 Sep 10

you spend all that money on stealth technology and you give yourself away by the noise of farting sailors. Are curries a wise thing to cook on a sub?

Kevscar1 11:46 04 Sep 10

GANDALF <|:-)>
Sat, [email protected]:33

The Taliban, Al-Qaeda and the rest of the assorted terrorists must be absolutely bricking it.

As the sonar has a 3000 mile range when that brick hits the water they can lob a Tomahawk land attack missile at them.

Strawballs 12:08 04 Sep 10

The technology on a lot of the new boats is good, the new Type 45 destroyers radar can track 128 different targets simulaneously.

Forum Editor 12:26 04 Sep 10

of the assorted terrorists must be absolutely bricking it."

Submarines aren't designed to deter or frighten terrorists, although this one can monitor mobile phone conversations among other things. The people who might be 'bricking it' are any enemies who think they are safe from attack if they are on or under the water, or even when they're on land.

This vessel can detect and track enemy ships and submarines over enormous distances, and get close enough to sink them before anyone knows it's there. It's a powerful deterrent - terrorists aren't its major concern.

jack 12:39 04 Sep 10

The nuclear steam plane would not need refueling for 25years.

This type of kit has been around for 25/30 years in these vessels in UK and USA perfectly safely.
We built so far as can be reasonably ascertained 3 of the latest version of such units one per new sub.

With all this concern over future power supplies in the UK and the lead time and cost to build the regular nuclear power station- would it not be sensible to keep the production line of the 'submarine packages' and install them as turbo generator sets around the country- one per town perhaps?

MAJ 13:01 04 Sep 10

I want one, great for sneaking up on the salmon and pike.

wiz-king 13:47 04 Sep 10

The first one was built in the heart of the country - London, at Greenwich.

peter99co 14:51 04 Sep 10

Install them as turbo generator sets around the country- one per town perhaps?

Good idea as long as there is a decent moat around to stop the current flock of metal thieves that seem to want to remove all they can get their hands on.

It was said once "Speak softly and carry a big stick." These monsters fit the bill nicely!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…