Zoom X5 modem, BT Openworld isp, I need advice....

WrathMaster2 16:17 15 Aug 04

I am using Windows XP SP1, Internet Explorer 6, my ISP is BT Openworld, I am trying to install a Zoom X5 modem.
I tried installing the modem as an Ethernet & USB connection but it hasn't worked with either.
Please can someone explain why I cannot connect to the internet? Is there an incompatability issue with my ISP? That's all I can think it is right now, I really don't know what else it could be?

pmjd 19:23 15 Aug 04

Just to check, when you said installed ethernet, did you plug a network cable from the modem to a network port on your computer?

Of the two options it should be the easiest as it will show up as a network connection, plus it's less annoying and resource intensive than USB ADSL modems.

First thing, make sure the network connection on your computer is set to recieve IP address by DHCP. To do this right click your network connection, pick "advanced" then highlight "TCP/IP" pick settings and check that the "assign IP by DHCP" option is ticked.
You should be able to login to the router, through your web browser and get all your setting for BT Openworld. Once done, all should be working fine.

If it isn't you could have a dud.

Try that and let me know how you get on and I'll see if I can think of any other solutions.

Cheers,
Paul

pmjd 19:25 15 Aug 04

Should have said "enter all your settings for BT Openworld". Unfortunately your modem isn't a mind reader and will have to be told them ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5