Zoom ADSL x6 modem/router

micky d 10:14 28 Dec 07

Hi, hope somebody can help me out.

First of all as the thread title says i have just brought a Zoom ADSL x6 modem/router(model no. 5590).

My O.S. is windows XP pack 2 & my ISP virgin Media.

My problem is that i haven't got a clue how to configure the Zoom modem/router.

I go through all the steps on the c.d. provided by the manufacturers........connecting the correct cables to the relevant parts,etc. but when it comes to the last page it asks me to configure the modem by 'auto-detect(recommended)' but always comes up with an error message saying 'Zoom ADSL not found'.

It also gives me the option to manually configure but i've no idea what the parameter settings are or what VPI or VCI are.

I have tried to access the modem by typing 'click here' into the IE address bar but am met with a list of websites as if i had typed it into the search engine.

I'm probably missing something really simple. I'm not very computer savvy so any 'step by step' help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

micky d 10:29 30 Dec 07

Had enough of the zoom, couldn't get through to their customer services & my ISP dosen't support that product.

Took it back to p.c. world & exchanged it for a Netgear DG834PN.

It works ok...............it is noticably slower than he Virgin Media supplied Speedtouch,which was connected via USB rather than ethernet,but at least it's working.

Another problem i'm having now is that i cannot get my PS3 to connect to the internet. The PS3 recognises the Netgear,etc. but it won't display web pages or connect tot the internet.

Dipso 12:34 30 Dec 07

The Netgear shouldn't be worse performance wise unless you are a very long distance to the local exchange which the Speedtouch deals with well. Maybe setting up your Zoom has messed up your line profile (presuming you are on up to 8 Meg) if that is the case things should pick up in a few days.

Sorry I can't help with the PS3.

micky d 19:11 30 Dec 07

Thanks for your reply Dipso.

Have uninstalled all the Zoom settings & it does seem to be running slightly quicker.

No worries about the PS3.............i know it's something simple i've missed but its bugging the hell outta me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…