zonealarmed

RUSSOKUK 10:30 23 Dec 03

I downloaded a critical update for zonealarm,there was a problem with the download ,so I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall,my pc came up with you already have a newer version and would not install it.I went online and was then faced with a vsom lock by zone alarm which ment I coudnt surf the net.it gave instructions on how to change the settings but that wouldnt work because I coudnt load it the only other help was a fax number to contact,I tried everything I could to clear this and ended up haveing to format and start again,Im pretty angry that this could have happened and that I didnt have a email address to contact them on the lockout page,so be warned.

Giggle n' Bits 10:36 23 Dec 03

mainly as it can crash and destroy any windows registry and the other problems like you have accessing the web etc. It does the smae as AOL software, after a time of updating to newer version or add on's it can and most likly will crash a machine. I have seen these many times on peoples machines.

As it is a freebie download people think it a wonderfull, I feel anything which is free carn't be up to the job.

The only thing I have seen and use often and doesn't crash a machine is WinZip but this isn't a firewall software.

Buying a dedicated software like Norton Firewall or McFee what ever he is called is not going to give you the hassle if looked after.

rickf 10:48 23 Dec 03

Have been using and updating ZA for a few years now and have never encountered problems as suggested.

christmascracker 10:57 23 Dec 03

Have to agree with rickf, have been using ZA for over a year now and never had any problems with it.

I have also, in the past, used Norton firewall that cost me £40 but couldn't get on with it at all so went back to ZA

Other free firewalls can be found at
click here

and click here

sattman 14:42 23 Dec 03

I aggree with Debonair, removing Zone alarm transformed my machine. It stopped the lock us, speeded the access up and System restore and NA auto-updates came back. Using Win Me.

Laser157 15:16 23 Dec 03

I use Zone Alarm on 2 computers, one under Win ME and one Win98SE. No problems, and both work fast on the internet using Broadband. I always download the updated file and do a fresh install, rather than updating on-line.

Jester2K 15:18 23 Dec 03

Some people have problems with ZA, some don't. Same as EVERY other bit of software on the market.

Is this the free or paid for version?

If free, try Sygate instead click here

spuds 18:09 23 Dec 03

I have used the ZoneAlarm freebie version for a long time now. Never had any problems, and have recommended it to others. Recently though I had a upgrade to my computer, and re-installed the latest ZA freebie. I do not know if this latest version is over zealous, but boy did I have problems. All sorted now though, but I was in two minds of transfering to another brand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…