zonealarm won't update

rasalom 01:00 11 Mar 05

have downloaded (and saved to my hard disk) the latest version of zone alarm (free version) but when I try to run the exe file it keeps on telling me that

"this computer must be restarted before you can insatll zonealarm . There are pending file operations that must be completed by rebooting."

I have tried rebooting but to no avail. I still get the same message when I try to run the update.

I have even tried uninstalling zonealarm and then trying to run the new installation file but I get the same message.

I have also ran a couple of registry cleaners incase something had been left behind when i uninstalled zonealarm, but this has made no difference. I still get the same message.

Anybody got any suggestions?

I have visited zonealarm's website but could not find any joy there.

I am running windows Me with antivir virus protection

Diodorus Siculus 07:58 11 Mar 05

Start in safe mode and see if it will install.

rasalom 20:43 11 Mar 05

Thanks for your suggestion Diodororus Siculus but I still get the same message.

bretsky 22:47 11 Mar 05

Try running a system restore and then installing the new version from their web site OVER your old version and follow the on screen prompts.

Not always a good idea to uninstall a previous version as it may have something to do with the true vector engine.

THIS IS FROM THE READ ME FILE:

If you already have a previous version of Zone Labs security software installed on your computer, the Zone Labs security software installation program asks you whether you want to perform an upgrade installation (which will preserve your existing settings), or a clean installation (which will remove your firewall, program control, and other security settings and return them to Zone Labs defaults).

To upgrade to version 5.5 from previous versions of ZoneAlarm, ZoneAlarm with Antivirus, ZoneAlarm Security Suite or ZoneAlarm Pro, you can run the Zone Labs security software installation program without uninstalling a previous version of Zone Lab software.

Perform a clean installation if you have been experiencing problems with a previous version. If you delete the previous settings please make sure to save your settings (paid clients only) with the built-in backup & restore feature or you will lose all program settings and other configurations and you will revert to the default settings that come standard with the product when freshly installed.

bretsky ;0)

rasalom 23:45 11 Mar 05

My point bretsky, is that it isn't even getting to the point where it will ask me if i want to perform a clean installation or an upgrade.

It gives me the "the computer must be rebooted ..." message as soon as I click on it and that was when my old version was still installed.

However I will try using a system restore and try installing it from the website rather than saving it to my hard disk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…