ZoneAlarm Update Problems

SURVEY 14:29 01 Apr 07

As you may have noticed from a few earlier postings by me over the last few days, like others I downloaded the latest Zonealarm version 7 update and found it totally screwed up my computer. The ZA Uninstaller does not remove ALL of the program making it impossible to reinstall. I kept getting a blue acreen and Memory Dump information. I tried System Restore etc to get back to a earlier version but that had been corrupted.

For those still in trouble with this, I did find somthing that actually works. The link is click here. It does involve deleting files and registry files but was not too hard to carry out. This did clear my computer up and I did (foolishly???) download an earlier version 6 of Zonealarm. All is exactly back to normal now.

I would ask why oh why cannot programmers make sure that their uninstallers remove ALL of their programs?

mattyc_92 17:05 01 Apr 07

Installers work by 'logging' what they have done on your system. Alot of installers don't use .log files for this, but some sort of internal extension with encryption to help prevent the user tampering with it.

When a program first loads up on your PC, it is safe to assume that it WILL infact add even more registry values and files to your machine (which the installer didn't do).
When the user tries to uninstall the program, the Uninstaller will only remove what the Installer added or recreated and not the program's.

Think of a Installer as a very advanced Self Extracting archive file. If more files have been created that the Self Extractor didn't make directly, these files will probably stay on the system.

SURVEY 09:32 02 Apr 07

Mattyc_92 - all understood of course. However the bits left by Zonealarm prevent a reinstall of the program. It was not until I used a link on this forum to remove all such bits and delete items from the Registry that I was able to reinstall an earlier version of Zonealarm. Fortunately all is now back as it was.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…