ZoneAlarm Pro Alert

Mollo 14:10 11 Sep 05

I recently installed ZoneAlarm and while I'm on the Web it keeps advising me that its firewall has blocked Internet access to my computer from [HTTP]82.42.22.180 [TCP Port 1051] [TCP Flags:S].
Obviously it's not always the same address below is another example:-
[NetBIOS Name]from 85.65.17.209[UDP Port 1027]
Can someone explain what's happening?

^wave^ 16:40 11 Sep 05

go to alerts and logs and turn them off and just enjoy surfing

961 17:22 11 Sep 05

If you delve into Zone Alarm Pro you can interrogate to find out where the IP address is situated in the world and, sometimes, the name of the owner of the address

In my own case I found that one of the main culprits was actually my ISP

So long as these are being blocked then simply follow ^wave^s advice, turn the alerts off, and forget all about it

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:17 11 Sep 05

You will NOT get hacked on a home computer. Hackers are not interested in the utter drivel that is on mine and everyone else's

Firewalls are useful in stopping Trojans dialling out but to be honest, if someone wanted to put a dialler on a computer, it would not be rocket science. If you are on BB there is no chance of anything dialling out. There are at least 5 programmes that can by-pass firewalls, 'TooLeaky' having the Gibsonmeisters' grudgingly awarded seal of entry. The Cult of the Dead Cows' Back Orifice, cheekily named after Microsoft's' Back Office, could easily be put on a target computer, if one was really trying and the firewall would still be asleep dreaming of bytes.

However, like my computer, most home computers contain utter drivel which is important to the owner but naff all use to the great unwashed. Bank and credit card details can be culled much easier than rooting through turgid files on a home computer. Hacking is NOT about breaking into home computers, it is about getting onto networks using passwords.

The 'alerts/attacks' are merely computers on the net asking your computer if it is still connected; these queries are called 'handshakes'. When you are connected to the net you could be going through many servers and routers. This occurs in a millisecond, so you do not notice. All these routers and servers need to know that your computer is receiving, so that they can send images and WebPages to your IP, which is in effect, your mailbox or receiving station. When on the Net you can pass through more than 20 servers and routers and they could all be handshaking your computer at short intervals. You will notice many of the 'alerts' come from Telecoms, which should come as no surprise as they own most of the routers etc. It is also interesting and miraculous that the 'alerts' disappear when you pay for the *ahem* Pro-Version of a firewall (see Zonealarm;-) ).

If you were being hacked, I can assure you that you would not get an alert.

Turn off all the alert buttons/warnings on your firewall safe in the knowledge that you will not be hacked.

If it is any consolation, I do not use a firewall on both my computers and I am on BB. I use a firewall on my laptop only because I take it to clients...so out of respect for their fears....... If you want to use a firewall use one that works silently in the background such as Sygate, kerio unless you are networked onto a huge network, in which case you should be using a hardware firewall and your IT department will be looking after it; there is no point in paying for a firewall.

G

keith-236785 20:07 11 Sep 05

in answer to GANDALF <|:-)>, i have paid for the zonealarm pro, as this product has served me well for many years i thought it only fair to pay a little towards their interest in protecting my computer. i have had many *attacks* but as GANDALF <|:-)> says, the majority from my own ISP. i just clicked the "dont show alerts" button on one of the alert report screens and it doesnt show anymore (it did still pop up even on the paid for version)

i am on BB and have a router which has firewall, i also have ZA PRO (until the two year sub runs out anyway, then its back to free version.)

p.s. my pc is full of drivel too <;-)) so bring it on hackers. i dont store any passwords/credit card details on my pc so i dont have to worry.

just turn off the alert and let it get on with protecting you in the background.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…