ZoneAlarm--Pinging

spuds 12:00 21 Dec 03

I have used a recommended the ZoneAlarm freebie, for quite a very long time now. Yesterday, due to computer upgrading, I have had to re-install and download the lastest freebie version.

I have had constant 'pinging' warnings, to the point that I have had to disable ZoneAlarm.Can you suggest a remedy to solve this constant problem. Or an alternative reliable Firewall,freebie if possible.I have even thought of doing a Gandalf/Powerless, and not using a firewall at all.

johnnyrocker 12:02 21 Dec 03

why not switch off alerts? it will still keep a log.

johnny.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:20 21 Dec 03

Outpost is very good and does not give paranoia alerts click here

G

spuds 12:36 21 Dec 03

johnnyrocker.Will check that out.Thanks

Gandalf.Do you mean click here

Valvegrid 13:22 21 Dec 03

What server are you on? I have reduced the security down to medium because NTL needs to ping your computer so it knows you are there. I had problems with slow download speeds till I reduced the security, now it's up to where it should be at about 19kb/sec on 150K. All the pings seemed to come from NTL when I traced them back.

christmascracker 15:05 21 Dec 03

Alert & logs, main and turn off "alert events shown". As johnnyrocker says, it will still keep a log

spuds 16:31 21 Dec 03

Turned off the alerts, so I will see how things go. The previously installed ZoneAlarm gave no problems in the past. Must be a change in the latest version.I believe someone mentioned on a previous posting, that they thought ZoneLabs had changed something in the programme, so that it caused a few errors, hoping that you would purchase the Pro version?.

Thanks everyone.Will put a tick now, and see how things go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…