ZoneAlarm--Pinging

spuds 12:00 21 Dec 03

I have used a recommended the ZoneAlarm freebie, for quite a very long time now. Yesterday, due to computer upgrading, I have had to re-install and download the lastest freebie version.

I have had constant 'pinging' warnings, to the point that I have had to disable ZoneAlarm.Can you suggest a remedy to solve this constant problem. Or an alternative reliable Firewall,freebie if possible.I have even thought of doing a Gandalf/Powerless, and not using a firewall at all.

johnnyrocker 12:02 21 Dec 03

why not switch off alerts? it will still keep a log.

johnny.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:20 21 Dec 03

Outpost is very good and does not give paranoia alerts click here

G

spuds 12:36 21 Dec 03

johnnyrocker.Will check that out.Thanks

Gandalf.Do you mean click here

Valvegrid 13:22 21 Dec 03

What server are you on? I have reduced the security down to medium because NTL needs to ping your computer so it knows you are there. I had problems with slow download speeds till I reduced the security, now it's up to where it should be at about 19kb/sec on 150K. All the pings seemed to come from NTL when I traced them back.

christmascracker 15:05 21 Dec 03

Alert & logs, main and turn off "alert events shown". As johnnyrocker says, it will still keep a log

spuds 16:31 21 Dec 03

Turned off the alerts, so I will see how things go. The previously installed ZoneAlarm gave no problems in the past. Must be a change in the latest version.I believe someone mentioned on a previous posting, that they thought ZoneLabs had changed something in the programme, so that it caused a few errors, hoping that you would purchase the Pro version?.

Thanks everyone.Will put a tick now, and see how things go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…