zonealarm or norton?

Proxy worm 18:04 06 Sep 03

i was going to but a firewall but then heardm you can get one free? is it worth getting norton or just settling for the free one?

kane_2002k 18:10 06 Sep 03

however i choose to buy norton as i found it more easy to configure (when playing online games, hosting a server), and also the free version of zonealarm is not compatable with windows ICS.

You Could try both (pretty sure that there is a demo version of norton) and then make up our mind. Zonealarm free version is probably very good if all you do is surfg the net.

sdf 18:10 06 Sep 03

I use Norton and can't fault it. It, in my opinion, is an insurmountable amount better then McAfee or PCCillin. I have never used Zone Alarm to know the product, everyone is always raving about it though. If you went with Norton you be on a winner... I'll leave it to someone else to give the perks of Zone Alarm

holly polly 18:13 06 Sep 03

hi both have similar facilities the zone alarm will give u comprehensive cover for nothing and works very well, the norton version is equally as good but if u buy it as part of the security suite u usually get antivirus software as well into the bargain ,its swings and roundabouts im afraid zone alarm - cost nothing -excellent
norton -cost ?£ also excellent if u require an anti virus prog check out grisofts AVG-this to is free but equaly very good -hope this has given u some ideas to reflect on -have fun -hol pol...

benson68 18:23 06 Sep 03

I was having problems with Zone Alarm, so now I use Kerio -another free one. No bother, & easy to use.
Dave Rhodes

hugh-265156 18:25 06 Sep 03

outpost is very good aswell,also free.click here

Legolas 18:38 06 Sep 03

Zone alarm is ok with a network and ICS if you set both settings to 'medium'.

nickthebestuk 18:39 06 Sep 03

Sygate Personal Firewall is good and free. Go to soho.sygate.com

alcudia 21:15 06 Sep 03

I'm ready to be shouted at, but I remain a firm believer in the maxim that you get what you pay for. If it's free can it be as good as an alternative that costs money. Probably, but I am not willing to take that chance. I will stick with Norton both for AV and Firewall.

I now wait to be told I'm wrong.

Belatucadrus 21:21 06 Sep 03

Another vote for Kerio click here most free firewalls are slightly cut down versions of a commercial package. Kerio is an exception, the free for home use version is the same as the pay for version.

Switcher 21:34 06 Sep 03

I found Norton and Zone alarm both too intrusive but OUTPOST works very well and is free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…