Zone Alarm vs F-Secure

Giddygum 23:54 19 Oct 05

Have Zone Alarm as firewall and F-Secure as anti-virus.

Ever since the most recent updates (August & October) of Zone Alarm the computer freezes at boot-up. The problem only seems to stop if either Zone Alarm or F-Secure is shut down, so obviously there is a software clash (despite computer press' reviews to the contrary). We know that it is not a hardware problem as we have 2Gb RAM and FX-55 processor.

Is there anything that can be done (perhaps in the settings) so as to stop this problem?

Have tried to contact Zone Alarm but without success.

phil46 01:25 20 Oct 05

Have you tried switching off Anti-virus monitoring
im Zone alarm,never come across this one before but i use AVG Pro.

rawprawn 08:34 20 Oct 05

Revert back to the old version?

961 09:16 20 Oct 05

I bought F-Secure after good reviews in many of the computer mags and all went well until I tried to install an updated version of Zone Alarm which I have used for several years

The Zone Alarm update would not install, saying that it had detected F-Secure on the system and the two programmes would not work well together

I e-mailed the F-Secure technical help and was given a work around that proved pretty impossible to understand never mind implement

I consulted the Zone Alarm forums and found pleanty of evidence of the conflict which had been ongoing despite, from all accounts, the efforts of both manufacturers

The work around that I eventually stumbled across that you may care to try, is to uninstall F-Secure from your system on each occasion that you wish to update Zone Alarm. Once the updated Zone Alarm is installed you can re-install F-Secure. The other bit of advice is to disable the e-mail checking of F-Secure or Zone Alarm because this seemed to me to be the bit of software that causes the problems

However, I have to say that, like me, you may find that all this faffing about is a bit of a nonsense, and my long term superfix was to uninstall F-Secure and use Avast (free version) instead as a virus checker

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…