Zone Alarm update malfunction

Splodge 17:54 16 Jun 06

Yesterday I received an "urgent" update to Zone alarm.

It failed to install and took a very long time to send back a report, no doubt scrutinising my system. Microsoft also asked for a report.

In the event I have a back-up hard drive and, just in case it was something I had done, I restored and tried again.

The same thing happened! At the same time, Avast seems to be having trouble on Vista and its protection states very categorically the it is a "dangerous site" and should not be accessed!

I note also that each time in ran for the first time on both my clean Vista hard drive and my XP system it stated it had found the same Trojan.

As a very suspicious person, I cannot help but wonder if the "trojan" is purely a selling ploy!

Can anyone give me their opinion of the best "paid for" anti-virus program? Not Norton though, I could not get it off my computer when I got it with my first installation of Media Sytstem!

Thanks

VoG II 18:08 16 Jun 06

You don't need a third party firewall with Vista which has its own 2-way firewall. I would uninstall ZA.

Blazon82 18:09 16 Jun 06

Suggest Nod32, an excellent program
click here

Splodge 18:26 16 Jun 06

My current configuration is XP. I have Vista on another hard drive, which I am still experimenting with.

Incidentally that Zone alarm download stalled on Vista too! I have e-mailed Zone Alarm (last night) but have only had an automated reply. It suggests they may be having problems with their latest download!

Will look at Nod: thank you!

VCR97 21:05 16 Jun 06

Lots of people on the ZA forum reporting problems with this latest upgrade.

Input Overload 22:53 16 Jun 06

My brother had the same problem with the latest Zone update, he ended up restoring an Acronis image as he couldn't sort it.

wolfie3000 00:34 17 Jun 06

I updated ZA yesterday with no problems what so ever am i just lucky or will something bad happen later on?

Splodge 10:26 17 Jun 06

OK all, panic over!

After sleeping on it, then trying NOD ( which was OK) and looking at other anti-virus's, I deleted Zone Alarm and then did a clean install.

Guess what.. it works.

When I e-mailed Zone Alarm last night, I copied across your comments (I use Incredimail which allows that sort of thing).

This morning I e-mailed the good news and, cheekily, asked for a free extra year's subscription.

Will I get it? I will let you know.

Splodge 18:28 17 Jun 06

So they know there is a problem!

Thank you for contacting Zone Labs Technical Support.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Click Start, Run, type Msconfig in the run box, and click OK. Once in
Msconfig, click the Startup Tab, and remove the checks from everything.
Now click the Service Tab, place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services."
Now remove checks from everything and click OK. Restart your computer.

Click Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs -> Right click Uninstall and go
to properties. Be sure to say YES to the security check. Under Target you
will see the following line (the actual drive may be different on your
system):

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe"

Change it to:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean

Click Apply and then click OK.

Click Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs -> Left click Uninstall

Then reinstall the program,

Splodge 12:42 18 Jun 06

I did as they asked, it still does not install on Vista but did on XP. I cannot remove it from Vista!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…