Zone Alarm Spyware Scanner

Tenacious Green 21:23 26 Oct 05

Zone Alarm is asking to update, but rather than a version change it is asking if I want to do a spyware scan. Has anyone else downloaded this update and ran the scan?

Tenacious Green 21:53 26 Oct 05

Having browsed the Zonelabs website I can't find reference to this in relation to ZA free which I run. Is this a possible attempt by Zonelabs to try and interest me in their anti-spyware product. I see it currently has a fifteen day trial.

Can anyone shed any light?

woodchip 21:55 26 Oct 05

spyware scan is part of the payed for version

Tenacious Green 21:56 26 Oct 05

I don't understand why it is asking me to scan then as I only have the free version.

VoG II 21:59 26 Oct 05

It is a reputable product. Why not let it scan?

Sharpamatt 22:00 26 Oct 05

I use Zone Alarm Pro which includs this spyware scanner.

I have found that it can detect spyware which other scans have not,but watch what you deleats because if a program has a scanning module in it it will be picked up and included in the list

woodchip 22:06 26 Oct 05

Looks like you loaded the trial version

EFC1878 22:08 26 Oct 05

I have recently ran a trial of ZA pro and it included the spyware scanner that seemed to picked up spyware not captured elsewhere.

Having finished the trial I got a pop up asking me if I wanted to run the scan. When I clcked yes I got a message saying that I did not have the correct active X control settings and to download further software . As I wasin a rush I did not do it - has anybody else? Is it ok?

Tenacious Green 22:15 26 Oct 05

Okay I ran it and installed the active X content for it and I'm disappointed to find that ZA runs a scan then offers to remove what its found if I buy their anti spyware product. It also seems that this annoying update will persist as when I ran 'check for update' after it asked me again and the only option to prevent it seems to be remind me in 60 days!

It only found 1 cookie and I havn't run a spyware scan for a few days!

woodchip 22:18 26 Oct 05

Remove ZoneAlarm from Add Remove Programs then delete the folder it leaves in Windows Explorer. And load the Free version

Tenacious Green 22:21 26 Oct 05

Sorry woodchip, I am on the free version and have been for well over a year. I have never installed anything but the free version. This appears to be purely a marketing move by Zonelabs to try and get its current free customers to part with cash for their Anti-spyware products.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…