Zone Alarm Security Settings

pcfoolish 14:15 22 Oct 06

Hi, this is my first post so forgive me if this subject has been covered before. I have ZoneAlarm installed on my computer and soon after installing it my PC began running really slowly. A friend told me to check Program Control to see which programs were using my PC as a server (?) and to block them. I have done this and my PC is now running much faster. However, there are some programs that when I try to block them I recieve a warning telling me that blocking these prgrams could cause my computer to crash or stop me accessing the Internet.

The programs are;
Client Server Runtime Process
Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
LSA Shell (Export Version)
Run a DLL as an App
Services and Controller app
Userinit Logon Application
Windows Exporer

Should these applications be using my PC as server, does anyone know if I would cause more problems by blocking them than leaving them as they are? I'm sorry it's such a long winded question and would appreciate any advice.

Technotiger 14:24 22 Oct 06

Hi, in this case you should heed the warnings. I would advise you to leave these as they are.

Cheers

anskyber 14:43 22 Oct 06

Some of the programs you list above are running on mine also, so I think Technotiger is right to suggest leaving alone. This explains the gobbledygook in plain language. click here

pcfoolish 15:38 22 Oct 06

Thanks, folks. I shall leave well alone, then. One more thing; the 'Send Mail' column - do all the programs need to be ticked here, as well?

anskyber 15:56 22 Oct 06

In a word no.

pcfoolish 18:05 22 Oct 06

Thank you for your help.

Zak 19:44 22 Oct 06

click here

Basically ZA advises not to give server rights unless under specific circumstances liste in the above link.

BTW I do not give server rights in Zone Alarm to the processes you have listed and I have no problems.

Also I have ZA set to ask for server rights in all instances. In some cases I have disallowed alltogether e.g. cyberlink media library NT service.

pcfoolish 19:35 27 Oct 06

Once again, thanks for the advice. I did actually block all the other programs (except for Windows Explorer) and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. In other words. it hasn't stopped me accessing the internet or caused my computer to crash, so I will probably leave them blocked.

pcfoolish 15:38 12 Dec 06

Just as a footnote to the above...after experiencing other problems (such as freezing computer, program crashes -especiallly when trying to use webcam-, etc) and not being able to use Instant Messenger properly (no pictures could be dispalyed)...I took the decision to uninstall Zone Alarm to see if it would have any effect on my computer.

It has been a week now and all my problems appear to have been resolved. The webcam works perfectly, IM has been restored to normal and my computer hasn't crashed or frozen once.

The full version of Zone Alarm with back-up disk cost me around 60 quid online...I will certainly not be recommending it to anyone else.

Spark6 15:47 12 Dec 06

What firewall are you using now?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…