Zone alarm problems

palinka 17:19 04 Dec 04

I installed zone alarm ; all was Ok until a couple of days later when I responded to a pop-up telling me to update. The Update appeared to be a complete re-installation, and since then I've had problems again with msgtag and "your email could not be delivered" messages from AVG.

I've decided that this was the cause of my problems described in an earlier thread, when I thought the culprit was AVG7. By trial and error and much uninstalling and reinstalling I'm now convinced that the real source of the problem is this zone alarm update - I'd updated just before the problems described in threads last week. The only solution seems to be to uninstall Zone alarm completely.

Diemmess 17:27 04 Dec 04

"The only solution seems to be to uninstall Zone alarm completely."

That is the wisest solution which I think is mentioned in "the small print."

Modo 17:49 04 Dec 04

Palinka I posted the next para a couple of weeks back.

It is always worth saving the Zone Alarm updates to a file. I keep about the last 4 or 5 updates. Then whenever a new version starts looking like causing trouble - a fairly common occurrence - I revert to the previous version that was working OK. Inevitably the next update comes quite quickly and of course the problem no longer occurs.

In addition I only ever load new updates on one computer and then give it a couple of days to see it is getting on OK.

It is like running battle whenever Windows Updates it knocks something down, Then the Firewall updates because the Windows Update has conflicted, which sorts that out only to cause an issue with AV software. It is the world we live in! At least with ZA you can go back to an earlier version that you know worked and wait for ZA to come up with another new update.

palinka 17:51 04 Dec 04

Thanks Diemmess. Can anyone recommend an alternative free firewall, please.

jakimo 17:54 04 Dec 04

look in the zone alarm forum, you will see a lot of complaints about the latest z|a upgrade,I have ended up using sygate a|v

palinka 18:01 04 Dec 04

thanks everyone.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 04 Dec 04

Firewalls :-
Kerio4 click here
Sygate click here

The Spires 18:25 04 Dec 04

Zone alarm updates seem to solve one set of problems & cause another, as Modo said can't you revert back to the earlier version.

palinka 18:41 04 Dec 04

thank you all; I'm trying out Sygate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…