Zone Alarm & Networking

Martlet 12:10 27 Dec 03

I have just managed to network 2 computers running XP, (using 1 crossover cable & 2 NIC's) so that both can use my USB ADSL modem. On the computer that has the modem directly connected I have had to turn Zone Alarm off to allow the other computer modem access.

Are there any thoughts on having my machine connected without a firewall, or a workaround to enable Zone Alarm?

Also why can neither computer Access files on the other despite Sharing being enabled?

Taw® 12:15 27 Dec 03

I dont think you can get networking with ZA free edition, though there was a post yesterday on how to do it but I think that was for the Pro version . I had the same prob and moved up to ZA pro. after taking advice of many people on this forum. Personally speaking I would not do without a firewall

soy 12:29 27 Dec 03

TAW is correct, The free version of zonealarm doesn't support Networking,only the pro version does.

For home networking how-to guides click here . This website was like the holy grail when I set up my own home network. Hope its helps.

LeadingMNMs 12:32 27 Dec 03

In ZoneAlarm go to the firewall section and click on the zones tab. add the ip address of the computer that is accessing to connect to the internet. then ensure that in the main section the trusted zone security is set to medium. this should allow the other computer to access to the other. if you run ZA on the other computer then do the same.

LeadingMNMs 12:38 27 Dec 03

I use the free version of ZA on both my networked computers without any trouble, just follow my previous post. If your unsure of the IP addresses of each computer, open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all". Then look for the Ethernet Adapter LAN and find the IP address in the section that will look like "". To add them to ZA, as above go to the Firewall section and the Zones Tab. Click on Add, select "IP Address" and type in the IP address of the other computer and give it a description.

Martlet 13:02 27 Dec 03

VMT for the advice. I will try the Pro version of ZA.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…