zone alarm intrusions

kaled 13:56 27 Mar 05

Happy Easter everyone. I've just joined the broadband brigade and thoroughly enjoying myself. Having used my old Pentium II with windows 98 and the usual protection (AVG, Spywareblaster, Adaware and Zone Alarm) , I'm now using my Windows XP computer, Pentium 4 with the same protection. Naturally I'm keeping up to date with updates for all the above (including microsoft) and I'm chuffed Zone Alarm is doing such a great job. I was shocked to see on my Zone Alarm screen that since install on 21st March there have been 1525 intrusions blocked - 6 of these being high rated.
This seems rather excessive since I've only been on the internet 5 days. I wondered what the rest of you thought.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:43 27 Mar 05

one week this sounds quite normal. Remember that some of these are your ISP pinging yur computer. The six highas are probaly when you switch on each day.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 14:43 27 Mar 05

For comparison - 8212 intrusions, 88 high rated - since Oct 2004 when I first got this PC.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:45 27 Mar 05

You will NOT get hacked on a home computer. Hackers are not interested in the utter drivel that is on mine and everyone else's

The 'alerts/attacks' are merely computers on the net asking your computer if it is still connected; these queries are called 'handshakes'. When you are connected to the net you could be going through many servers and routers. This occurs in a millisecond, so you do not notice. All these routers and servers need to know that your computer is receiving, so that they can send images and WebPages to your IP, which is in effect, your mailbox or receiving station. When on the Net you can pass through more than 20 servers and routers and they could all be handshaking your computer at short intervals. You will notice many of the 'alerts' come from Telecoms, which should come as no surprise as they own most of the routers etc. It is also interesting and miraculous that the 'alerts' disappear when you pay for the *ahem* Pro-Version of a firewall (see Zonealarm;-) ).

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:48 27 Mar 05

PS........turn off the alerts and intrusion logs, they are a waste of space and totally unnecessary.

kaled 14:55 27 Mar 05

Thanks all of you. That has certainly put my mind at rest. And Gandalf, thanks for the information about handshakes. It makes perfect sense now.
I'll go and eat some chocolate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…