Zone Alarm hogs the opening internet window

Diemmess 18:14 24 May 12
Answered

Accepted and downloaded the free version update of ZA today

Whether I use IE or Chrome as the browser, selecting either wil insist on opening as ZA's search.

Once into the browser there is no further interference.

I could take the coward's route and overwrite with a recent Acronis.tib but I hope some boffin will tell me how to instruct ZoneAlarm to behave itself and merely update the firewall without trying to take over and push lots of adverts?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:54 24 May 12
Answer

You need to reset the home page in both browsers. you may also need to disable any settings in ZA Internet security that locks the home page and prevents changes before resetting the homepage, then once the home page is set to our choice reactivate the homepage lock.

Diemmess 20:48 25 May 12

Thank you Fruit Bat /\0/\ I understood you advice, but I have a half-yearly magazine to get out and thought why bother!

I used Acronis restore and avoided possible hassel from a brief experience of a bloated upgrade. Unfair to condemn without a serious attempt, but there were several wobbles even during installation. I await other's comments.

rdave13 20:51 25 May 12

Diemmess, possibly you know what I'm going to say... so here goes,

Dump ZA.

There I've said it. I did a long time ago and never regretted it.

Each to their own I suppose.

stlucia2 07:58 26 May 12

If I remember correctly, ZA, in common with many other programs, has an tick box during installation for it to be your default browser page, install a toolbar, etc., which I always decline.

Reverting back to your original, or default, browser home pages is quite simple. In IE the option is under Tools > Internet Options.

Andsome 08:30 26 May 12

You get what you pay for, and this includes owt fer nowt. I have used ESET INTERNET SECURITY for several years. It does NOT cost the earth, and full customer support is available on line, or e mail or telephone.

Diemmess 11:10 26 May 12

Go with the flow ... has been my mantra with protective software. From pre-history (DOS and Dodgy floppies) when I had Dr. Solomon as sole protection on to Windows 3.1.1 and the Internet via AVG and Zone Alarm.

I had started by buying a cd for AVG and later discovered there was a free version which served very well for a long time. AVG later became [to me] bloated and awkward. I ditched it in favour of Avast.

Now ZA seems to be going down the same path. In fact since buying Dr Solomon to clear a "stoned" virus all those years ago, I have only had warnings, not an infection. I run Malwarebytes from time to time and CCleaner about once/week

Still using XP Pro and from the number of Windows updates I wonder if I need a firewall at all?

stlucia2 11:18 28 May 12

*"... AVG later became [to me] bloated and awkward. I ditched it in favour of Avast. Now ZA seems to be going down the same path. ..."* I too ditched AVG in favour of Avast, but it was because it seemed to cause a conflict with something on my XP PC -- MS Excel, if I remember correctly. But then Avast caused me grief by almost preventing anything else loading or running while it was updating, which happened every time I booted up my PC.

The combined ZA, by contrast, seems to me to work nicely in the background, without causing any conflicts, or delays to other software. I must admit it did cause Google Earth to stop working when I first installed it, but that was cured by running CC to clean up the registry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…