Zone Alarm Help

J B 14:24 25 Jul 05

Hi all; I have had problems installing the latest version of the ZA firewall. I downloaded the new version after uninstalling the old one thru the add and remove programs section of the control panel. However after setting the new version up and swapping windows the firewall would not engage saying that there was a system error,and that a reboot was needed. After the reboot it engaged but only in my window. The same thing happened when I swapped windows to see if things were Ok. I ended up having to reinstall the old version to get the thing to work. In the past I was told to uninstall the old version first instead of rewriting over it. Can anyone suggest a way of getting rid of ZA all together or at the very least getting the new version to work and recognize norton A/V which the new version does not, or point me in the right direction to a current firewall tha will not give me any problems like this in the future. Thanks. J.B.

Stuartli 15:46 25 Jul 05

I've always updated ZA (Free) by commencing a normal installation and selecting Yes when asked if it is updating a current version.

This maintains all the previous configration settings and permits a trouble-free installation.

You'll also find that ZA doesn't recognise some well known AV utilities, including Avast, but it doesn't affect its firewall attributes.

keith-236785 16:33 25 Jul 05

i would try again to uninstall zone alarm, then goto C:/Program Files and delete the zone labs folder (if you have registered, take a note of your key number before deleting it), shutdown and restart your pc then try to install it again, it might be that some settings that were held in the default folder were causing a problem.

good luck

ps, ZA works fine with AVG.

J B 20:42 25 Jul 05

I have done all the above and to no avail. The new version will not recognize NAV no matter what I do. The version I have 5.5.094 works perfect, but if I try to upgrade to the new version it still does the same thing. I think Iam going to give it up because I don,t know what I am doing wrong. By the way, If I don,t upgrade what will happen. J.B.

Stuartli 00:37 26 Jul 05

It won't make all that much difference I would imagine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now