Zone Alarm / Generic Host / Unwanted Dial Up

Cal 18:52 26 Nov 03

After win XP startup I get an unwanted internet connection attempt (broadband), which no matter how many times I cancel, just continues to try to connect.
If I let connection happen, no program or browser is launched.
On checking Zone Alarm alerts and logs, the only program shown at the attempted time of connection was an incoming Generic Host Process Win32 Services.
I have been blocking this - is this the cause of the problem?

A_World_Maker 19:17 26 Nov 03

Part of your OS is trying to connect to the internet to carryout an 'Automatic Update'. Look at programmes such as ZoneAlarm, your antivirus and adware programmes. Windows is also set to look for updates automatically, by default.

Use the control panel 'Adminastrative Tools'.. click on 'Component Services'..'Services Local'.. and look for 'Automatic Updates' switch this to manual.. also switch the following service to manual:-
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

Check that your not allowing the windows clock to automatically update itself (double click the clock in the taskbar and click the Internet Time tab.. and uncheck the 'Automatically Sycronise the time with the net server'

A_World_Maker 19:19 26 Nov 03

To check if windows is set to update itself.. 'Control Panel....System...Automatic Updates... uncheck - Keep my computer upto date

Cal 19:41 26 Nov 03

Thanks A_World_Maker, I'll reboot later and see if this works for me.

Cal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…